General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

b6 1.8t issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:34 PM
1st Gear
Default b6 1.8t issues

Well I'm new to the site but not cars in general. Have owned several VW's over the years and this b6 is my first in the Audi world. Anyhow to the meat of the post.

The car is a 2004 a4 1.8t quattro 6 speed. The car does have some mods done to such as APR recirc valve, full exhaust from turbo back, k04 turbo with bigger injectors and supporting software. The software is unknown since I picked the car up used from work.

I have spent several hours looking for any leads into the issues that I have had as of recently and for the most part have come up empty handed. The first issue that cropped up is an odd noise that seems to be coming from both the intake and exhaust. I have heard the noise bark out the exhaust at times and heard it come through the charge side of the intake. It does seem to be more of a bark noise and I am having a hard time figuring out what is causing the noise. The only time it seems to happen is when I am coming out of boost at an odd time.

The second issue is one that just came to light this week. I have only had this issue crop up twice but it very worry some for how bad it sounds/feels. While going around a tight RH turn and using what seems like low to mid power to exit said corner, I get a very severe shake/judder. Seems to be much worse coming from the rear but not 100% sure since I know some issues with NVH can transmit from one source and be amplified from another. With this issue, I haven't had time as if yet to get it up in the air to check for severely worn parts or broken ones. Last time I serviced, less than 1000 miles ago, I didn't see anything since I am always looking anytime any of my cars are up. Also, I have taken said corner with the same load and speed many times in the almost year that I have owned it and never had this happen. Have even come out the corner even harder with no issues.

Any insight into either of these issues would be great!

As for the odd engine noise, I am suspect of either the DV starting to fail or the wastegate messing up. Have watched live data and logged it with my scan tool and the n75(?) shows that it is working. Haven't had the scan tool hooked up when the noise occurs as it happens so intermittently I can not duplicate it easily.

Last edited by blackrabti; 08-30-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Got the vibration/noise from the driveline figured out. Faulty front shafts. Still would like some possible insight into the intake noise if anyone has run into this before.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

Wow, 130 views and not one damn person wants to offer any advice. Guess if I'm not asking about going BT or what the best air ride set up is, no one is going to reply. Makes me wonder why I chose to make an account on this site.