General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

battery/valet mode/keyless entry

Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
1st Gear
Default battery/valet mode/keyless entry

well this thread is basically about my car's keyless entry system. I was having problems starting with the 2002 a4 1.8t and had thought it was the battery was too low. I had disconnected the positive and negetive on the battery to replace it with a new one and the keyless entry was not working nor was the trunk releasing or the gas door locking. so i thought that maybe i blew a fuse. I did a search on here looking for an answer but came up almost empty handed except for one thread about how the guy had to short is car to get it to work properly. Well for most peopel short could have meant all kinds of things. so here is what happened. after i replaced teh batteries the lock unlock function was not working or trunk open or gas door lock. I had to open the Trunk lid manually with the key into the slot. after you remove battery you have to make the car recognise the keys again by unlocking the car with the remote and then put the key back in and lock or open it again. and start up the car within one minute. the windows will not have the memory of opening and close on auto so to redo those you just open it all the way and close them all the way and it will be set the next time yoou use it. as for the trunk lid not opening with the keyless or the driver door button it was simple to reset. you must do this last part b4 you do the keyless entry and door again. but to short my system all I did was remove the positive connection on the battery and went into the car and pulled the ebrake to discharge the last of the remaining battery in the system. and tried to start the car to use up any left over battery charge still in the car. that is what is meant by shorting the car. you dont have to do anything special just those two things and you can then proceed to connect the terminal again. and go on with teh keyless entry again. I suspect this is the valet mode for when or if somethign happened then they valets could not be able to access the trunk but they can also access teh gas filler area to fill the car up with gas . so this pretty much a valet reset i would say. GL to you people with this problem its not a blown fuse just need a short to get it out of valet mode i guess.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
4th Gear

Search "switchbade remote key"