General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Big cvt Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Default Big cvt Transmission problems

I recently purchased a 2003 audi a4 cabriolet with the 3.0 cvt transmission. Recently ive had a few instances where my car jolts when the car is put in reverse. ITs a constant back and forth jolting. When i shift it back in park and then back to reverse eerything seems to be ok. That is until the other day. I was backing up and expierienced the same familiar jolting. while pulling out of the parking lot i could hear a hissing noise and the check engine light started to flash. i imediately stuck the car in park and turned the igntion off.
When i looked underneath the vehicle i noticed transmission fluid spraying from behind the plastic skid guard. I then had the car towed to a local shop to be checked out. Fortunately i purchased the extended warranty (car now has 54000 miles) unfortunately the mechanics there let me know that it appears that the car has been bottomed out crimping the what i assume to be hardened steel hose through which my transmission fluid cools itself and weakening it possibly causin a small leak which has just become a catasstophic leak ie warranty will not cover the damage. The car was only drivin a half a block with the transmission leaking and was then immediatly shut off. On top of that the mechanic showed me another issue. The car is now locked in park (shifter wont move)
but the car is still able to be pushed AS IF IT WERE in neutral. He advised me that the tow company could have snapped something in the transmission which i have no way to prove. The mechanic says i need a whole new transmission which could cost me upwards of 6000 dollars. Does this sound like this is true, (the mechanic seemed shady) could it be something simpler ie new hose? Do audis have an automatic shutoff and parking lock when fluids are low? Please help..... Ive saved for two years to buy this car and going back to my mazda 626 ... well nuff said

Old 05-20-2006, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Big cvt Transmission problems

No fluid interlock that i know of. Make sure the brake pedal is being pushed and the key is on. Otherwise the shifter wont move. Sounds like you may have been driving with the fluid on the low side for a little while, but i dont thing you did any serious damage to the trasmission. Have the line replaced and the trans filled and see how it drives.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Big cvt Transmission problems

Just the reman trans runs over 5k...I would turn it into your Insurance company.