General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change

Ok, so like an idiot, I went and got an oil change. Anyway, they took out the air filter, did the oil change, when i get in my car, it makes some kind of weird grinding/fluttering sound. Like if there's a piece of plastic stuck in a bicycle wheel. Sounds like rubbing in the wheel well maybe but not sure. The sound is only there when accelerating.

I bring it back, they put it back on the lift, start checking stuff out, i see some burning mist, probably spilled oil that fell on a hot part in the engine bay so not too worried about that. They're revving the engine, while up on the lift. The drivers front tire is acting weird, slowing down and starting back up erratically. He takes foot off accelerator and puts it on the break and it still keeps revving and wouldn't stop, even when he applied foot to the brake. While this is happening, they put the car in park and I hear a loud grinding sound as the revving stops. They did that twice by the way I almost crapped my pants I can't believe someone who works on cars would do that, TWICE. Until I told him not to do that again.

They gave up and said sorry, best of luck, etc. I'm driving home and it's drivable other than when revving it I hear the light fluttering and grinding noise. I just went to go test it, same thing, just not as bad as before. But, now the Emission Control System dummy light is on so I'm thinking maybe they didn't put the air filter back on right??? Also, I can't seem to change the suspension to anything but sport mode and I usually have it in comfort or automatic. So I was kind of thinking that maybe the sport mode suspension combined with the 20 inch wheels is making it rub...but that wouldn't explain the Emission Control System dummy light I think, right?

I'm kind of lost here and need help before I get screwed by some mechanic for 2k.

PLEASE HELP !!!

P.S., I'm new to the forum so if I posted in the wrong section or something, my apology, no harm meant.