General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Black Smoke Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:49 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Black Smoke Sometimes

Hello,

I am a first time Audi owner and I was hoping you guys can give me some input on...
I have a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T. The thing is that the other day. I had my car on idle for like 45min with the AC on (California Hot) and after when I decided to drive off I heard a bit of clanking ticking noise from the engine and a 5 second black smoke come out of the tailpipe .then the car drove as normal.no probs at all...the other day the same thing happened for the same reason..and yesterday after putting gas I got onto the freeway and it did it again.just 5 sec.and then everything went normal. I am always putting 91 gas in it..I use 76,shell or chevron...none of that cheap gas. I had one code pop up but it never cam back. and drove normal as well.the code is a P0011 Intake (A) Camshaft Over Advanced Bank 1....

Could it be that I need new plugs? what is the interval of changing the plugs?

Please help,I work at a shop and have some access to ALLDATA and other things...But I need some input for you tech guys that are very used to these cars..

Thanks
Golfin_tec

Old 09-01-2013, 07:48 PM
1st Gear

That would be caused by a variable cam timing fault. Could be any number of things from dirty oil, sludge, faulty VVT solenoid or cam adjuster. When I was an Audi tech, saw a few where the oil control rings in the cam adjuster housing broke and will cause the symptoms you describe. They are in the aluminum housing bolted to the rear of the cylinder head and are (unfortunately) serviced only in the adjuster housing assy.
Would not be a bad idea to have your oil pressure checked as well, using a mechanical gauge. Technically if it's low the warning will come on but if it's in the low range of the spec, still may cause slow response of the (oil controlled) variable cam timing.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

I was also told that it might be my turbo going out the seals.. because now it did with more frequency and it was a very big big cloud of smoke..

Old 09-06-2013, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

The turbo seals would cause blue smoke (oil). Black smoke indicates a rich fuel mixture. The turbo's on those cars tend to fairly durable and long lasting for the most part.