General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

BOSE Sound System - Possibly Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 03:06 AM
1st Gear
Default BOSE Sound System - Possibly Faulty

Hey. We have an Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T with the upgraded BOSE sound system. When we bought the car (used), the right-rear speaker made a rattling noise when it came to deep base frequencies. The Audi dealer told us the speaker was damaged and that it would cost $260 or something close to replace it. We did so... and as I was driving tonight, I noticed that the rattle was back. The music I was playing wasn't particularly 'bassy', nor was it at an extreme volume level. I'm not positive yet, but I'm sure my dad will be ticked when he finds that the speaker is rattling as well.

This type of thing should not happen to the same speaker on a properly-functioning system, expecially at reasonable volumes, correct? I'd assume that something is wrong with the power going toward that speaker. If I took it to the dealer to get fixed, shouldn't the Audi dealer have checked the wattage while diagnosing the first speaker problem? How should I deal with this? A speaker should not destroy itself on a stock sound system, especially at a level where the sound isn't destorted yet.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: BOSE Sound System - Possibly Faulty

What you need to do is find a reputable car audio dealer and have them take a listen. An experienced ear can tell if your speaker is bad or the amplifier channel is blown etc. I am curious if they replaced just the speaker or the amplifier too. In some of those cars the amplifier is attached to the back of the speaker assembly. BTW dealerships tend to start replacing parts even if it isnt the cause of the problem.