General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Calling out to all Audi tech's from a fellow gear head

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Default Calling out to all Audi tech's from a fellow gear head

Alright I'm a BMW tech but I have no experience w/Audi's so I thought I'd start here. Anysuggestions ideas would be greatly appreciated. Well, here goes.A friend of mine recently took his car (2003A4 1.8t)to an Audi dealer for routine maint. and for some driveability issues. I looked at his diag report and he had 2 problems. His complaints were, 1: car feels sluggish and CEL is on, 2: transmission range indicator is blinking. The diag report hadfc p1479 idle too high, vacuum sytem brake mechanical fault and alos a trans fault 17???(sorry, i lost the diag report so i forget what the code was) trans range sensor implausible. They quoted him for 1 check valve and also a suction/pump valve and a TCM for the trans range fault. My questions are, where is the suction pump located at? I'm guessing this is to create vacuum for the accessories? And my other question is, since european cars all use the same modules from Siemens/Bosch, I'm guessing I'd most likely have to code/program the TCM. They quoted him for 2200.00 and there's no way he can afford that so we're thinking of finding one at a junkyard and just having the thing coded at the dealer. Have you guys heard of these TCM's crapping out often? or is there a seperate Gear selector switch in the trans? Anyinput will be greatly appreciated. thanx [align=right][/align]

Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Calling out to all Audi tech's from a fellow gear head

Transmission control modules can go bad. I've been told all (P,R,N,D,4,3,2)
will light up.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Calling out to all Audi tech's from a fellow gear head

This is going to sound crazy but I had almost identical readouts and problems right down to the trans locking into a gear and not letting go until the car was restarted. It was all fixed (tans code, slugish response,cel, wrong fuel mixture, ...) by changing the Mass AirFlow Sensor (MAF). The part installedby a good friend was $180.00 but could run up tp $400 at the dealer. Sounds crazy but check it out!!!!K&N airfilters will destroy the MAF on these cars so if he is using one .......Also look at the vac hoses located under the black audi plastic shroud at the top. They fall apart after a couple of years.