General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car start and shut off right away

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Car start and shut off right away

I, my car was stored in my garage for the winter (4 month) so today i just finished my oil change and try to start the car, it start but shut off right away. I try it several time and it always does the same thing. Anyone have an idea what can cause this ?
Thanks

I bought it last spring its an 2005 A4 quattro 3.0L V6.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Hi. Sounds like the immobilizer is activating. Try the spare key if you have one.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

Just try it with my valet key, always the same what is that immobiliser, how can i delete it or but it off. Car has been in my garage for 4 month, i replace the battery, and i just reprogramming my keynob remote with new batery either. The car still start and shutoff immidiately.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

I've been looking at my cluster and did not see that immobiliser sign on it, is it possible that my doesn't have that protection ?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

Don't think the immobilizer is optional, so should have it. It's inside the instrument cluster. The remote part of the key is separate to the Immobilizers transponder part, so programming the remote won't match the key for starting. This is done online with a tester by a dealer. Some locksmiths can do them.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

Well finally fix it with out dealer help, here's my story. Last autumn i stored my car in my garage for the winter, by january i bought at eBay two casing keyfob for $10 thinking it will be a good idea to have some new ones. I rush a lot to take out the electronic circuit from the old key fob but finally make it, i also change the plastic case that hold the key blade. I scrap one electronic circuit by trying to take it out but hopefully it my wife one LOL. I trought this old keyfob in the garbidge and thank God i keep one of the two. I replace the battery in my only one keyfob and i was thinking that it was all set. A week later i was receiving some freinds for diner so we go to my garage to show them my car and also how it was nice to open the window and soft top just by using the key in the driver door lock. SURPRISE nothing happen, so they laft at me and i deceided to live all like at it later. Next morning i began to find some way to reprograming my keyfob and finally find a way in the net on about 15 differents ways i found, for my car it was that way;
1- Put the valet key in ignition on "on" position without starting the car.
2- Get out of the car close the door and put the keyfob you want to program in the door lock.
3- Press the unlock button and turn the key to lock position and keep this position for about 10 seconds.
4-Release everything, unlock the car with the key, take out the valet service key and try the keyfob.
For me it was the solution, now two days ago i got my oil and filter change and try to start the car, SURPRISE car start and shutoff after having reaching 2,000 rpm some 2 second later. Another trouble with all of those systems, i begin searching on the web and forum what could be the cause of that issue, i read about the immobiliser and most of the answer was that i should have a dealer reprogrammation of the immobiliser system and a keyfob reprogramation to, i was decouragest just by thinking of a towed and Audi dealer work out could cost me. I reed and try a lot of things by these last two days and finally find the good one that works for me. First there is a little pieces integreted in the plastic part of the keyfob that old the key blade (God thanks that i don't throw this part away) so i replace that old part with my new keyfob casing, secondo i unplug the battery and courtcicuitize the + and - wires for about 10 seconds, next i replug the battery and reprogramed the keyfob with the upper explanation and the car started and KEEP RUNNING, i was realy happy and richer.

So thanks to all off you forumers and webber that taking time to right your story that surrely could help somebody.