General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

code P0303 Ahhh please someone help :(

Old 08-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Default code P0303 Ahhh please someone help :(

Hey to all, I am writing to all of you guys to see if any of you ever had this problem.

What does that mean?
A P0303 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #3.
Symptoms
Symptoms may include:
[ul][*]the engine may be harder to start[*]the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate[*]other symptoms may also be present [/ul]
Causes
A code P0303 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
[ul][*]Faulty spark plug or wire[*]Faulty coil (pack)[*]Faulty oxygen sensor(s)[*]Faulty fuel injector[*]Burned exhaust valve[*]Faulty catalytic converter(s)= Had it changed 6months ago to a brand new one[*]Running out of fuel = Twenty bucks of fuel[*]Poor compression[*]Defective computer [/ul]

Possible Solutions
If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Every thing was fine with the car no problems no sounds of anything breaking used it in the early morning when it was raining, then parked it intill 4 afternoon went back home and parked it didnt move it untill 9 at night and then this is what happened. My car over heats very very very very fast to the point where smoke comes out from under the hood, the engine is very shaky, I start it the chekc engine light is on and when I start to drive it starts to blink. I opened my engine i looked at it if you look at the audi straight on, on the left side under allot of stuff (sorry dont know allot about engines) I saw it getting Heated to the point that something in there turend red what could this be?Any comment are welcome and pics would be great any tips to fix this would be AWESOME. Thanks allot

I have an Audi A6 2002 3.0 Quattro 76 thousand miles on it.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Default RE: code P0303 Ahhh please someone help :(

anyone know anything about this problem ?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Jxwisniewski
anyone know anything about this problem ?
Read what you cat & pasted.....

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Faulty catalytic converter

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

My bet is on a clogged cat. You should be getting some other codes. How do you know the car is overheating? What did you see glowing?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:34 AM

I really dont know what was overheating but I saw something turn red and i tried to rouch it with Gloves and it BURned my gloves. The catalyc converted has been changed 6 months ago so what i am trying to figure out is what it could be, i took it to a dealer and they wont get to it untill Friday but they will probably charge me another 2k i already spent 1.2k on a checkup and replacemnt of back brakes.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

Could it be a bad EGR valve? Don't know your engine specifics, but that sounds possible to me.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Jxwisniewski
I really dont know what was overheating but I saw something turn red and i tried to rouch it with Gloves and it BURned my gloves. The catalyc converted has been changed 6 months ago so what i am trying to figure out is what it could be, i took it to a dealer and they wont get to it untill Friday but they will probably charge me another 2k i already spent 1.2k on a checkup and replacemnt of back brakes.
Have you herd of the "Darwin Awards"? Don't touch things that are glowing red! Chances are you are looking @ the cat glowing. If you can't tell what a Cat is, you really shouldn't be playing around in the engine bay. That is really all that will glow in a 3.0 engine, well maybe the exhaust manifolds, but that would be from a clogged cat, or really hard running.

I would look into what is dumping all that fuel into the cat. Have them look at the CTS & FPR.

You really should find a good local Independent Audi shop, so you don't get raped from the Dealer, it sounds like the Dealer just through parts at it, & didn't fix the cause.