General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Combination valve troubleshooting / water in the SAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Combination valve troubleshooting / water in the SAI

Ok, I've searched, and have not gotten such a good answer. The SAI (secondary air injector) pump has died. It actually took a LONG time from when it first started having issues. Quiet - airplane - gargling gravel - quiet again. :-) I took it out to grab the PN since there are two different ones. And when I removed the first air tube, I dropped a solid cup or nearly 2 cups of water out of there. The other side had a little in and when I got it out (w/o removing the front bumer too!) and shook it, there was stilla LOT of water in there. Stupid thing. Luckily, it is the cheaper one. $270 at ECS Tuning versus the $350. "Lucky" me, but that is not the point of the post and is just background info. Also, 2000 A4, 30V (V6), auto, 100,000 miles

This leads to the theory of the combination valve having a problem and allowing condensation (and alot of it) back in. Since is is the 30V V6, there are two (of course there are...). When attempting to blow into the outlet from the pump (the way the pump would) with the car off results in not an absolutely complete plug (but pretty much complete), but I was kinda wierd blowing into it. When I applied 8" vacuum, the combi valves opened up and I no longer had a plug. Less than 8" would keep them closed. I tested each individually, as well as a pair by applying vacuum at the "T" going to both. At $150 each, I don't want to have to donate any more than I need to for parts. This would seem to me that they are OK.

But if they are OK, how does one get water there? Granted it is a bit of water, but it has been a month or two since the SAI stopped working. I'm going through and trying to get this car back on top - she has a few issues. The SIA is on order at ECS, but what are your thoughts on the combi valves? Pump will be done this weekend.

--MIKE--

Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Default RE: Combination valve troubleshooting / water in the SAI

replace both valves, or another pump in a year. the check valves have a tendancy to fail. sorry to rain on your parade

Old 05-26-2008, 04:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Combination valve troubleshooting / water in the SAI

Ok, so I have gotten around to replacing the combination (conbi) valves. The car has not been run for about a month (she's using her grandmother's Volvo
).

I got the driver's side off fine. I have oddly shaped arms and could get it without any issues once the coolant expansion tank was unbolted and set aside. The passenger side valve is impossible to get to. I removed the intake elbow to try to get more room, but still not enough. The camshaft tensioner is there in the way. I'm doing the valve cover gaskets and the vacuum "T" thing as well because of persistant oil leaks (the "T" was plugged). Even with the valve covers off, there is not enough room on the passenger side. So my question is "How do I get the passenger combi valve off??"

I have the Haynes and Bentley manuals, and both are useless for this task. Heck, the Bentley does not even TALK about it!! I am thinking about cutting up a 5mm allen to try to get in there better.

And why do the combi valves not ship with new gaskets? Gees. I'd rather pay the $5 extra instead of having to now wait for them to come in.

So, how does one get the passenger side valve off? Thanks.

--MIKE--