General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant - special stuff needed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 AM
2nd Gear
Default Coolant - special stuff needed?

I am installing a new radiator on my 96 A4 2.8 auto. Does 'normal' antifreeze coolant work, or is special 'german' stuff needed?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

That is almost like asking which oil is best.

As I understand it...

You can use whatever coolant you would like, AS LONG AS it is safe/formulated for/compatible with the aluminum engine block. Most modern coolant formulations are compatible and will work fine. It is when you try to mix and match that you get problems. The G12 coolant was specified by Audi because at the time most other coolants were not compatible with the engine components. That is no longer the case. However, if you try to mix G12 and non-G12 coolant they tend to form jelly, which is not good for keeping your engine cool.

When I bought my car I could not confirm what coolant was in the system. Had all sorts small coolant related issues. When I did my TB I flushed the coolant system and replaced with G12 and have not had problems since.

-not an expert, just an enthusiast

Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
That is almost like asking which oil is best.

As I understand it...

You can use whatever coolant you would like, AS LONG AS it is safe/formulated for/compatible with the aluminum engine block. Most modern coolant formulations are compatible and will work fine. It is when you try to mix and match that you get problems. The G12 coolant was specified by Audi because at the time most other coolants were not compatible with the engine components. That is no longer the case. However, if you try to mix G12 and non-G12 coolant they tend to form jelly, which is not good for keeping your engine cool.

When I bought my car I could not confirm what coolant was in the system. Had all sorts small coolant related issues. When I did my TB I flushed the coolant system and replaced with G12 and have not had problems since.

-not an expert, just an enthusiast
I just come off the 'trans fluid' science/mystery/opinion path (the more you ask, the less you know).

But your input is good. The system is empty (so no G12), and I can't get G12 locally. So I figure I put my standard stuff in (and check for alu compatible).

Old 10-26-2010, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default Coolant: "Green" vs. G12 Pink/Purple

Here is short version:

Today's green has additives that protect aluminum from corrosion. Lasts 3 years or up to 30,000 miles. It contains silicates, phosphates and / or borates as corrosion inhibitors to keep the solution alkaline. As long as the solution remains alkaline, corrosion is controlled and the system is protected.

G12 "pink" or "purple" or "orange":
long life or extended life type of antifreeze used to increase the useful life of engine coolant. Orange antifreeze contains organic acids that protect engine parts from corrosion. Useful life is about four years or 60,000 miles in older cars.

BOTH work well with aluminum engines (if changed in time before protection wears out).

ONLY thing to watch out for: DO NEVER MIX THE TWO.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear

Sidenote:

Orange type antifreezes are good for five years or 100,000/150,000 miles in newer vehicles (1996 and later).

Toyota uses a red antifreeze in many of its products and should not be confused with the orange type long life antifreezes. It is essentially the green type of antifreeze that contains red dye to give it the red color.

VW coolant uses organic acid to prevent corrosion. (not sure of any silicate content) (G12), pink or purple (orange?)

That greenstuff uses silicates. They don't last as long, so you'll need to replace it much more often.

Blue Honda coolant uses an organic acid to accomplish this and has zero silicates.

The most common inhibitors, silicates for aluminum protection, are used up faster than others. That's why some new cars (all General Motors, Mercury Cougar, VW/Audi models) have red or orange antifreeze with a new class of inhibitors, called organic acids.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 AM
2nd Gear
Default How to flush

I have the radiator off the car, new one ready to install.
How to best flush the engine?
Is there an easy way to get those 'thermostat blocked' areas flushed?
Or should I just install the new radiator, fill with water, run engine until thermostat opens, then drain?