General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Does anyone know what this part is?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Default Does anyone know what this part is?

I was stopped at a red light when I felt something "shoot out" from the bottom of my car. I went to pick up the piece on the road which was chrome, about the diameter of a softball, on one side was a dial that said WARN on it and I could dial it to FREE or LOCK. On the underside looked like a spring loaded cap. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this is?

99 A41.8TQuattro Tip

Old 05-05-2007, 02:02 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Does anyone know what this part is?

sounds like the radiator cap, sure it was yours. we need pics.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:12 AM
1st Gear

I don't think that it would be a radiator cap. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that it is not off of your car, but off of a truck that was involved in a accident in that same location. Warn makes a fairly good locking hub, in fact I have a set on my `94 Ranger. I am certian that they don't make a set for any audi that has ever been made. I said that the truck that it came off of was involved in a accident because if he lost it hub he in not driving his truck, the wheel would come right off. If you would like me to, I can go out when it stops raining and take a picture, or you can venture over to warn.com and see thier products including that wonderful hub.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:46 PM

I checked out warn.com and it does look like the Ford ranger hub lock. This did not come from my car. I just had my turbo replaced last wk and yesterday while sitting at a red light, I definitely felt something under the car- that part was the only thing laying on the road where I was. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 AM
3rd Gear

You ran over a locking hub from a Jeep or similar vehicle. Warn makes the front axle hubsand the dial can be set to free wheel or lock the hub for AWD.

My years with an1982 Jeep were not wasted, athough I will admit my Audi A6 is far more comfortable and better in snow.