General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver seat won't go forward or backwards!! Come on someone must know!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Driver seat won't go forward or backwards!! Come on someone must know!!!!

I have a 96 A4 with some seat issues. The driver seat suddenly decided to stop working. It won't slide foward or backwards, but will move the back rest, and the seat up and down. It's an electric seat so I was wondering if it was the motor or the switch. Has anyone else had this problem?? Help before I ghostride this thing into a tree!!!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Driver seat won't go forward or backwards!! Come on someone must know!!!!

Try pushing teh button up and forward, or down and forward; and/or up and back or down and back, as teh case may be. My seat sometimes acts up, too, and that's how I deal.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Driver seat won't go forward or backwards!! Come on someone must know!!!!

I just bought my 00' S4 and it's doing the same. I'm gonna pull the seats and run over all connections and then disassemble the switches the best I can to check contacts. I'll keep you posted and maybe I can do a step-by-step.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, please let me know what you find! I'm like 5'7" rollin' with the seat all the way back... not cool! I might hack into mine as well. If I find anything I'll be sure to post.
Thanks a bunch for the response!

Old 05-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Senior Administrator

HEy! While you two are dismantleing and remantleing your seats, one of you take apart your back seat and tell me how to put my passenger-side-rear headrest back on track, OK?

Old 05-20-2006, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear

Most likly the swtich for the fore/aft adjustment is bad. You can check this by disconnecting the connector on the motor. When you move the switch you should get 12v at the motor. If you dont have 12v you either arent getting power to the switch or the switch is bad. Most likely the switch. If you do have 12 you need a new motor.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

As for the headrest issue im not quite sure what you mean by back on track. You shouldnt have to take apart the seat to do anything with the headrests thou. You just have to push the button and slide it in. If it wont go in you may have to replace the headrest guides. You can get them out without taking apart the seat but theyre a pain to get the releases out as there isnt much space in the hole the headrest slides into.

Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Dankhound! I'll try that and see what I come up with. If I can find a switch for cheap, what years will work? Do I have to find a specific switch for a "96" or are there other models that will work?

Old 05-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Senior Administrator

Yeah, my pass/rear headrest is already down, and won't go back up. It's not that big an issue, since I A) never ride back there, and B) when it's up it blcoks my view, but C) it's annoying knowing it isn't working correctly. I've got it down as a "one-of-these-days" thing on my to-do list

Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 AM
3rd Gear

If it wont come out the release for the headrest in the headrest itsleft is probably broken. You could probably force the headrest out but youll break the plastic guides in the process. Sounds like you may have to pretend its not adustable. Who needs adjustable headrests anyway.