General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

easier way to reset the radio?..have codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Default easier way to reset the radio?..have codes

I just got my Audi A4 1.8T Quattro a week ago and had to take it to get serviced and get a new battery. Point being i just got it back today and my radio says SAFE in it. I have my code for it the dealership gave me it, and they told me i need to have my car turned on for 2 hours, well not all the way turned on but just turn the key enough to where i can use the windows and stuff and then 2 hours later come out and enter in the code. Does anyone know if there is an easier way to reset the safe mode settings on my radio?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Default RE: easier way to reset the radio?..have codes

I never heard of having to leave the key on for two hours - maybe you do, but no one that I've ever read on here has mentioned that. Just try entering it and see if it works. It's not going to explode if you do have to wait

Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear

Considering what they told you, i have to assume that the incorrrect code was entered at least twice which locks up the radio. You need to leave the key on for at least two hours to get the radio to reset. The only other thing that may work is to keep the radio out of the car for a long period of time. Long enough to drain the capisitor in the radio to get it to reset. Easiest way is to leave it as the dealer describes thou.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:11 AM

No i found an easier way. All i had to do was push the P.scan and Rbds(something like that) and hold till 1000 appeard and then i entered in the code and it came on. So fyi for everyone you do not need to have the car on for 2 hours to reset...atleast not for a 2001 A4...but this is the link that someone on a different audi forum gave to me Ti Kan: Audi Radios I just scrolled until i found the radio that matched mine

Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Wink

I just do not understand you people who think your helping people. I just do not understand why people just can not just give the codes that they know so people could try on their radios instead of jus saying "try this or try that". Easiest way to reset radio codes would be to say "my car is 2000 audi a4 and the radio I have is .... and the code was ...." Whay can't people just answer peoples problem like that.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Well, I have an 2001 A4, bought it and started reading about the radio code, what would be the easiest way to reset a code, the last owner does not have that information, so I am scared to disconnect the battery to do any work on the car. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

My mom just got a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro from my grandpa and this thing is going to get the best of me. I didn't know the radio would go into safe mode when I pulled the battery so I didn't get electrocuted while wrapping bare wires and trying to figure out why the headlight doesn't work. I searched through here to find out how to reset the radio. PScan and RBDS held down together brought the 1000 up to enter the code. However, someone posted on here about pressing the first number and scan to locate the first number. That DOES NOT work. I found my radio code in the spare tire wheel well on a white sticker with RC and the code on it. I know that we cannot share codes because each code is specific to the radio otherwise, what's the point.

So, I entered the wrong code twice before tearing the car apart to find the sticker. Now my problem is that I cannot get the radio to bring back the 1000 so I can enter the correct (at least I HOPE it's correct) code. Is leaving the key in for 2 hours the right thing to do? I know it's not going to hurt anything, especially since the car is in my driveway, I just want to make sure that's the right thing to do. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by LizGraham
So, I entered the wrong code twice before tearing the car apart to find the sticker. Now my problem is that I cannot get the radio to bring back the 1000 so I can enter the correct (at least I HOPE it's correct) code. Is leaving the key in for 2 hours the right thing to do? I know it's not going to hurt anything, especially since the car is in my driveway, I just want to make sure that's the right thing to do. Thanks for the info!
There are detailed instructions in the radio manual, and the owner's manual as well, I think. You have to leave the radio on for an hour. (When you come back to it, it will have powered-off already. Don't worry about this.) Then you can do the unlock procedure again.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:13 AM
1st Gear

hi dear,
how can i get the radio code for my audi a4 2003
serial nb: Auz5z4c5342963#
vin # WAUAC48H63K020773

if you can help me please
thank you.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:49 AM
2nd Gear

The radios all have an individual code assigned to them that must be entered in order to activate it. You cannot try different codes from different radios. The code for your particular radio should be documented in the owners manual (if you still have it). There are instructions in the owners manual on how to properly enter the code. If you lose that code number, an Audi Dealer may be able to look that code up for you. Otherwise, there's no way around it. It's an anti theft measure for that reason.

Let me go dig out my Owner's Manual and I'll post the instructions for the Audi Symphony Radios shortly.

Quick Reply: easier way to reset the radio?..have codes