General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Belt/engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Belt/engine light

hello everyone, first before i start my question, i would like to say if im in wrong section... please move my post to right section, please do not remove it is really important for me.
i got a Audi a6 2002 3.0 quattro i bought it about year ago with 79k miles, at the moment it has 83k miles, when i was about to buy it, i went to Firestone to check if everything is alright, there was no leak anywhere, no sign on oil at all, but it had a check engine light on, they hooked up a computer to it and checked what was the error for, it turns up that it was pin size evack (vacuum) leak.
the guy at Firestone told me its not a big deal it wont affect ur car except its going to be more ruff.
after 5 months i stop at a gas station, when i walk out i smelled some kind of plastic burn, but because i saw a guy right next to me putting coolant in his truck i thought its him, then i drove to work, i smelled the same smell i came up to the front of my car and it smelled like it was coming from under the hood, than it stopped and i never smelled it again.
month ago i started the car and it just died right away, but when i started again it was fine, and i didn't have another problem like this for another week.
2 weeks ago i started the car and it died again, than i started it again, the car was running really weird like i was running out of gasoline and check engine light was blinking but i had over half tank, it was running like this for around 30-40 sec. than it got back to normal, i called my mechanic to ask him what that could be, he told me to come over to his place, when i got there he hook up computer to find if there is any more errors for it and he got 5 errors, the error code are:P0491 , P0456 , P0492, P0118, P0431. because it was getting really late he told me to come again on Sunday so he can check whats going on with those errors.
today i drove to work i knew the car was acting weird it sounded like the rpms were high, they were little over 1 on Drive, i turned off the car and stopped for about 30 min, than i started the car and i was trying to get back to home, on a red light i had the same problem i could feel my car its on high rpms, but because i was one block away from home i just decide to keep going, well i was wrong, check engine start blinking again and i got hot water symbol and a triangle with ! mark in it than the car die, i pulled over on the side and i can see and smell smoke coming out from my engine, again smelled like plastic, i called my mechanic and told him exactly what happen, he told me to try start the car, it spins but wont start, than i went out to see if i got water and i told my mechanic that it looks like i got none, my temperature of water was one bar over half, and my oil temperature was 250 and it was going down, he told me to go buy water and wait till car will cool down, 1 hour ago i see my water its still on half but my oil its all the way down to 150, i putted water in and it went down really fast, than i try to start the car, still no luck, my mechanic came over to see whats going on, he tried to start the car and he said right away its a belt inside of the engine it broke and it probably band my valves, because i knew he asked me before if i want to sell him this car i cant trust him 100% i need to know how much are the parts to fix those problems im not saying i need exactly the price but something close to it, but with out work done just the parts. im sorry i cant explain the names of the parts he told me, i dont speak that good English as you can see.thank you for your help and i hope to hear from you soon.