General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Oil Bypass Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 AM
gcv
1st Gear
Default Engine Oil Bypass Filter

Hello, First post here.

I tried searching the forum without success, so sorry if this has been discussed before:

Has anyone installed an engine oil bypass filter in an AUDI or VW? Specifically the B5 A4 1.8T, which has known oil sludge issues.

I have just done so and will report back after a few thousand km.

The link with the product I used (no affiliation) is:

http://www.frantzoil.com/home.html

Basically I am taking part of the oil which exits the regular car's oil filter and running it through this (additional) ultra fine filter. The return (clean) oil is then taken up by hose to the engine oil cap.

These are often used in diesel engines, SUV's and trucks.

Comments are welcome.

Regards

gcv
1999, Audi A4, B5, 1.8T Avante, Auto

Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM
gcv
1st Gear
Default Update 1

It has been roughly 1000km on the first toilet roll filter element and I decided to change it. Frantz recommends the first filter be changed at 500 miles and then every 15,000km (sorry for the changing of distance units).

It is hard to confirm at this stage due to some excessive oil top ups (read below) but it looks like the oil is not getting as dark as it used to.

The most noticeable change is that when I lift the oil cap, there is no more sludge clinging to the underside. It is is just clean oil on it.

The oil filter element I replaced was virtually black!

I have had a few oil leaks due to errors I made tightening hoses but it all seams to be sorted out now.

With the next scheduled oil change in a few thousand km's, I will also change the Frantz oil filter element (toilet roll) again so the cycle starts with new oil and new filters. Then I will be make further note on the colour changes.

Until next time.....

gcv