General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Few issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Default Few issues

Hi guys, i am new to these forums, have just moved from japanese to european cars, the car i have just brought is a audi 1.8ltr quattro and i just need to know a few questions. I have used the search button but there is no direct answer i could find.

1. The car shakes under breaking, and the front right wheel when jacked up i can move it from right to left, but i cant move it up and down *north south direction... so is that normal ? or are the ball joints playing up where the 2 links connected to the chasis are? i dont think its the wheel bearing since it would be able to move in all directions ?

2. i have a 50/50 blow off valve, when coming to a stop or applying brakes the rev's would move up and down then when stand still, return till normal, what do you think it could be ? maybe the atmospheric side of the bov ?

3. What kind of engine oil should i use ? after reading the manual it recommends 5,10w-30-40, and after doing some reading everyone is using fully synthetic ? but from past experience with my previous manual cars i have used semi-synthetic since the turbo car liked it better, and on the audi another reason u guys would use it is from the oil sludging problem ? is that true what kind of recommendations ?

4. Upon start up, the car reads "ln 2" which according to the service manual, means needs additional service, but i have checked all fluids, and everything is in working order ? and the log books say serviced every 5000km's, but it wasnt serviced by an audi dealer ? but it says an audi dealer can reset this ? am i right in saying since it wasnt serviced by them hence why it couldnt be reset?

5. What kind of power gains are you guys experiecing with the GIAC chip ? and would u recommend this ?

Sorry for the long questions guys, but any help will appreciated !

thanks.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Few issues

A to #4. VW delaer cud prllly reset it, as well. Or, find someone with a VAG-COM tool (do a search for VAG-COM)

To get teh most/best answers you'd be better off posting teh same thing in teh A4 section.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:48 PM
3rd Gear

1. probably warped rotors.
2.blow off valve probably causing the problems.
3.use sythetic. there are definatly some sludgeing issues.
4.do a search for resetting service light.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

no answers for the chip question huh? I'm beginning to think people here buy audis for their "plush ride" LOL

Anyway, man, I have a turbo a6 and I've been using synthetic in mine since the day I got it (it apparently had synthetic in it before me as well). One thing I can tell you, I never used synthetic before I went german and that's not an easy thing to get used to, but its well worth it. I used 5w-30 over the winter (it gets cold in NY sometimes) and when spring came, I shifted to 10w-40. Seems to be doing a fine job, that synthetic :-)) Just that my engine (2.7 t) takes a whole lot of it - almost 7qts... what else? oh yeah, the service indicator you can probably reset yourself - on mine its as easy as holding down the pins for the trip counter and the clock simutaneously for a few seconds - I did it and never had any regrets, since I know what's going on with my car - check your manual, that's how I found out how to reset it. Sorry, can't help you on the bov and the chip first hand, but my friend was doing some research on that and he found out that a chip can really improve your hp and acceleration (duh), especially with a stick and the bov (once again, duh). You should be getting somewhere in the 'hood of 250 horses with a chip on a 1.8t. Make sure your gaskets are ok though, because those revs will keep the pressure in the engine higher than normallly intended. You should also get better fuel economy with a chip.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:23 PM
1st Gear
Default shake under braking

your upper guide links are bad. these commonly go bad and cause a clunking feeling when braking. also check the tie rod ends. they also get play. shake the wheel like your did before and just look where the upper guide links connect to the upper part of the spindle to see the play . only 1 is probably bad but check both sides of the car.
- definately use the vw/audi recommended synthetic. 1.8t have alot of oil pump failure/oil sludge concerns
castrol syntec 5-40 will be fine( they also use this oil for the older tdi's) non pumper duse.
do the oil changes every 5000 to be safe ,although your book/service indicatior will say 10,000.
- your service indicator should have been reset at the last oil change. either somone at the dealer forgot or someone at another shop didnt know how or have the tools.anyone with a vag com could do it or see if the dealer will. its fairly simple

Old 06-29-2006, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: shake under braking

no answers for the chip question huh? I'm beginning to think people here buy audis for their "plush ride" LOL
Nah its just that all the posible mods for the 1.8 have been ddisscussed in great detail on the a4 forumn. The plush ride is just a bonus.