General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

foam in power steering pump!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Gear
Default foam in power steering pump!?

I just put the head back on my 1.8t. I removed the one line from power steering resevior for some reason when I took it apart.

I lost some fluid in this process.

I topped off the resevoir when I reconnected everything. went to take car on first ride today. the steerng made a noise. I checked the resevoir and it was foamy. almost looked like there was coolant in there, weird.

any ideas? it was power steering fluid but not from audi dealer. I checked the bently book after and it did say to use audi fluid. could that have caused this?

I feel like an idiot.

thanks for any help.

Peter S

Old 05-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Default RE: foam in power steering pump!?

The steering on a a4 uses a hydrolic mineral oil for the power steering. It isn't similar in the slightest to power steering fluid. You need to get some of the right stuff and flush your system out with it most likely. I did the same thing when i got my 2.8 it resulted in stuff that kinda looked like pond scum and eventually the mixture started to affect my steering. I flushed it out and everthing fixed itself.

This is exactly where i ordered mine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...spagenameZWD1V