General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Folding Mirror blows fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Folding Mirror blows fuse

Hi
I'm a new Audi owner (of an '01 Allroad) although I had a 4000S years ago. My 'new' car is perfect but for one issue. When I first tried the electric folding mirror function it worked fine, but the next time I tried it I fried fuse #5. This fuse (in my car) controls multiple systems including the stereo and climate control. I did try a 15 amp fuse, instead of 10, to carefully see if the mirror would work but the 15 amp fried immediately. I'm back to 10 now and will not be folding the mirror until I figure it out.

I assume maybe the previous (1) owner didn't ever use this feature since she lived on a remote island in Western Canada. Chances are it's lack of use and I need to take the mechanism apart to clean & lube it.

I don't yet have a Bentley manual (since I just got the car). Has anyone had this problem? Is there an easy way to tell which mirror it is and whether I have to take the door and mirror apart to repair it?

Old 08-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Default RE: Folding Mirror blows fuse

sounds like a chapped wire in the mirror ( never change the fuse to higher AMP for any reason ) unless you don't mind it catching fire, any fuse that blows like that has a short circuit or bad ground

Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the hint. Maybe I can figure out a continuity check once I get the wiring diagrams, that will prevent me from having to take apart the wrong mirror, since there's a hundred percent chance that the first one I take apart is not the one that is causing the problem.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 AM
2nd Gear

I agree "bigger fuse" = FIRE

Also agree on the broken wires inside the mirror ... somebody was using the feature too much ... I woud take the mirrors of and look at them close

the car is not Dumbo it won't fly if you wiggle the mirrors

Old 08-18-2006, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I am aware of the dangers of oversize fuses. My view was that the safety factor in circuits could handle a 5 second check at a slightly higher amperage. Since 20 gauge is generally the thinnest wire used in cars, and can handle 15 amps for most distances in the front of a car, it would take a while for the wire to heat up to the point of melting the insulation. Absolutely, would never want to go oversize for a longer period.

On the mirror, I did compare the 'wiggle' between the drivers and passengers and there is quite a bit more play in the drivers. I think I'll start on that side.

Gary

Old 08-20-2006, 03:59 AM
3rd Gear

First place to look is the wires between the body and the door. Pull back the boot and check for a broken wire. If they are ok, pull the door panels off and try disconnecting the mirror connectors. Then try a new fuse and the switch. When the fuse doesnt blow youve found the section of wiring/motor with the short.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:44 AM
1st Gear

I finally had a chance to look at this on the weekend. I ended up taking the driver's side mirror apart. The wires to the fold away motor did seem a bit crimped but no insulation loss, or chance of short by wires touching each other or ground. However, I tested the mirror while apart and it worked fine! After I put it back together (also with the wires less crimped) it still worked fine. The fore & aft play that I mentioned is now gone so I'm wondering if the problem is related to something I read in another thread about never moving/folding the mirror manually.

While I had it apart I did try to move it and it seemed to click into place (not the main detent, but inside the mirror) I suspect that the mirror motor driving mechanism jumped out of synch with the mirror. However, it might also be the wires. It is working now, but I'm a bit worried it will recur.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:54 AM

I just got a 2003 A4 3.0 a week ago, and I was showing my friend the folding mirrors. the next day passanger side would not fold. I try forcing it and it made a noise like if it was stock, oh well the passanger side does not fold anymore. Two days passed. and all of the sudden it works but it makes
a lock noise. I wonder what it could be.