General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel In Oil And Hard Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Fuel In Oil And Hard Start

Hi,
I just joined this forum after buying an Audi that I cannot yet enjoy...
Audi A4 1997 2.8.
The oil smells like gas, there is also quite a bit sludge on the engine cap. The car seems to run good but ocassionally (1 of 10) it is very hard to start. It cranks but does not turn over. Starts after several attempts and looks like it helps when pumping on the accelerator while trying to start it up. Plus I have to wait for about several minutes between the attempts. In those cases, when I start it up, it dies easily the first few minutes .
When I don't have problem starting it (9 of 10 times) it does not hesitate and does not die.
All filters, ignition wire set, spark plugs and the fuel pump relay were changed but it did not help...
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Default RE: Fuel In Oil And Hard Start

Coolant temp sensor possibly bad, too much fuel at startup (hense the oil smelling like fuel). It's flooding itself out. Careful driving it, that fuel in the oil is going to breakdown the oil and wash down the cylinder walls. You could do some pretty serious engine damage if it gets bad enough

Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot for the response! I did a "Search" on the previous topics and looks like this sensor is a common problem. Could a faulty fuel pump cause fuel in the oil too?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 PM

fuel pump don't think so, ill go with the temp sensor also

Old 06-16-2007, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

Unfortunately things are getting even worse. I got the engine cleaned/flushed with BG "Quick Clean" and then changed the oil. The previous oil was not too bad, but it smelled like fuel.
I put 1 pint of Seafoam in the gas tank and filled it up.
Then I drove the car for about 20 miles. The new oil also definately smelled like fuel although it stayed at the same level on the dipstick and still slick and nice, so I guess not that much fuel got into it. It was clean and nice on the dipstick but there was PLENTY OF coarse sludge on the crankcase walls and on the crankcase cap. There was a thin finer layer of buildup on the shaft too. Is there a way to get rid of all that sludge in the engine at once?
Later in the evening, after a hard start and a little cranking, I drove for about 10 miles and "Check Engine" light came on. Everything with the engine, coolant, oil looked as previous, no strange noize...
After driving the car for a while - since I bought it - I also noticed a grinding noize while stepping slightly on the gas. It is most noticable on lower gear and lower rpms. At higher rpms and highway speed the noize disappears. Looks like it is coming from the front, perhaps a little on the right side.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 AM
4th Gear

Have AutoZone read the codes and post them.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:41 AM

the problem with this issue is because it didnt start right away a soft code will be logged but wont point out the problem so hopefully you should get many fault codes if your lucky and one of them will pinpoint the problem, free code reading[:-] not bad but not in the UK[:@]