General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

General A4 2.8 Quattro maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Default General A4 2.8 Quattro maintenance questions

Hey Guys. New A4 2.8 Quattro owner; had a few questions I couldn’t find answers to easily through searches.

The car is a used 2000 A4 2.8 Quattro 5speed with moderate service records. Not meticulous by any means. It needs basic attention, plugs, wires, fluid checks, etc. I’ve tried looking (even in the basic owner’s manual) for the oem spark plug type to no avail. I know most recommend NGK or Bosch, is there a marked difference between the two, or would either be acceptable in a daily driven scenario. I’m not looking for performance, dependability is more my goal.

My brother, who is a TT owner, has become an ECS tuning aficionado. As such, I’ve used it as a guideline for my own purchases. I’m looking at ~130-150 for plug wires, and 40 dollars for plugs (ECS has both NGK and Bosch listed for the A4 2.8 Quattro, hence my question). The price difference is minimal between the no-name OEM replacement and the Bosch, any thoughts for or against?

Also, any reasonable estimates on difficulty and time needed to change the front sway bar links? I was told they are in need of replacement, and I’d like to take the opportunity to become a little more proficient at my own maintenance.

Any help is appreciated, I’ll take constructive criticism on how to make the search function a little more fruitful as well. See you all around.
-Adam

Old 09-27-2007, 03:50 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: General A4 2.8 Quattro maintenance questions

well oyu have a V6 so heads up the plugs are kinda annoying to change. me personnally id go with bosch no need to get a no name company if the price difference is a few cents or dollars. ive also noticed buying stuff like autolite and champion i got some fugly old school looking plugs, i currently have bosch platinum 2 which have a platinum electrode with 2 ground elements instead of one the fugly ones. as for the front sway bar links i believe its a 10 minute job on each side since its only 2 bolts.

as a matter of fact heres a DIY
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74853