General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Got some funny noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Default RE: Got some funny noises

i have 130xxx on it, i used the 10w30. It ticks all the way thru the drive no matter whether its a cold start or not. When i rev it in nuetral the ticking speeds up with the rpms. And its forsure a tick not a rattle. What weight oil should i use next time i change it? So the ticking doesnt mean i have a bad engine and its gonna die soon, cuz thats what my dad keeps telling me (but really he is just mad i bought i thing, but i love it; momo racing seats, lowering racing suspension, shortshifter, intake, deleted resonator with delta flow 44 true dual muffler)

Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

Try the castrol syntec in 5w-40. Also I used Lucas fuel system cleaner and did a raod trip with a fully loaded wagon with a/c running the whole time and i got 22 mpg.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:26 PM
4th Gear

Not to scare oyu or anything but every modded car ive seen has had a history, i preety much killed the engien on my honda the day before i sold it. my cousins eclipse had so much screwed up with it i wasent even funny. what im trying to say is if you didnt put all these things on the person before oyu might have drove th car hard and not properly maintained it. But try this, 100 or so miles before oyu change the oil pour in half a can of seafoam into the crankcase, when you change the oil use regular oilor since oyur using syntheticc mobil 1 synthetic high mileage, if it still ticks there and addive called smoke stop, it basically something to make the oil a bit thicker and cushionthe lifters. Make sure you use the seafoam though, it will clean out the engine and help break up any sludge (if theres any) and help the oil flow better through out the engine.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:31 PM

fair comment ^^^ and remember these cars were designed for this sort of punishment and parts are changed regularly so history is important

Old 08-31-2007, 05:36 PM
SoCal Crew Member

allaboutquattro- can you pinpoint where this noise is comming from exactly? the very top of the engine? what side of the head more or less.... this car may have what they call "oil retaining valves" locatedsomewhereon the cylinder head depending on what engine and year.... when i get home to my other comp i can look it up. usually,when the oil retaining valves are making noise the noise may fade after extended driving. i'll get back to you

Old 09-01-2007, 01:59 AM

One more thing i have a klunking sound only when the car is at idle, its wierd and these noises are very noticable.Im not sure where exactly its coming from butthe thing is the seafoamed it before i changed i oil, it ticked when i got it and that made it go away until i changed the oil. i think what im gonna do is take a video of it and have you guys listen to it. And as for the mods, he did the suspension and seats and i put in the short throw and intake/exhaust, i havent been running it too hard, considering its has 130 on it and i killed my accord racing it but that was expected when you are puttin out 300hpw on a f22 engine, plus its not all that quick its a fun ride tho. but yea hopefully ill take a vid tomoro and post it up

Old 09-03-2007, 03:10 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Note:

Irregular valve noise during cranking is normal.

Do not interchange hydraulic lifters. If necessary mark them when they are being removed.

Place lifters that have been removed on a clean surface with the contact surface (camshaft end) facing downward.

Hydraulic lifters cannot be repaired or adjusted. Faulty lifters must be replaced.

-
Start and run engine until warm-until radiator coolant fan has come on at least once.

-
Increase engine speed to approx. 2500 RPM for 2 minutes

If the irregular valve noise stops and then re-occurs again each time vehicle is used in stop and go traffic:

-
Replace the oil check valves

If the irregular noise does NOT stop, locate faulty hydraulic lifter as follows:

-
Remove cylinder head cover.

-
Turn crankshaft clockwise until cam lobe for lifter being checked is pointing upward.
... to be continued.....

ps.... is this the 2v or 5v engine you have... i'm not sure what year it changed... my service manuel does not say....