General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heater not working properly.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Default Heater not working properly.....

HI,

I have a 2002 A4 1.8T. It went into the garage after the thermostat blew and had to be replaced. After that, they also had to replace the coolant reservoir tank and cap as coolant was still coming out from there.

Since then the car has been running OK and the temperature gauge sits at the midway point (instead of working only intermittently). It is holding coolant OK.

Problem is, since I got it back there is very little hot air coming into the interior. I set the controls to Hi and can only get warm air out, even when the car is hot and has been running for a while. If you are stopped at lights etc the temperature of the air coming out drops significantly - it doesn't actually go cold but it's certainly not hot. It's only if you are going along at a fair pace that the air gets hotter, and even then if I turn the fan up the air temperature blown out goes down. If you set the control to Auto it's same result - only lukewarm air gets blown out.

Been reading on the forums that maybe there is some air in the coolant system and I should maybe try running the car for an hour with the reservoir cap off possibly to get rid of the air bubbles?

Just want to get some ideas on suggestions before I go back to the garage to complain about it - and don't want to have to pay out more to them if it is something that can be fixed easily.

Many thanks.....