General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with 1995 90 Quattro burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Help with 1995 90 Quattro burning oil

Hey guys, Im new here and glad to be a part of this forum. I just bought my first Audi, a 1995 90 Quattro for a really good price. The guy was the original owner and took real good care of the car before I got my hands on it. All of the repair records from 2007 on were given to me when I bought it. He had some major work done and it was in good running condition when I bought it.

Now the motor is burning a lot of oil, usually a quart every 2 weeks, and I dont really drive long distance. The exhaust is kicking out a lot of smoke, gray in color. I also think that I might have a leak in the exhaust closer to the motor... maybe around the catalytic converter (also, this is a California car, so the emission standard equip might be different from other north American models). Im hoping some of the Audi pros here will give me a heads up about the situation.

A quick list of repairs made that might give a clue as to whats going on:

1. Oil leak coming from valve cover gaskets repaired in 08.

2. Cylinder head rebuild in 2010.

3. The intake manifold gaskets were leaking after the head rebuild.

4. A "severe" oil leak was found coming from the oil pressure switch. I dont see any leaks on the ground after the car is left sitting overnight.

Also, the car has been losing some coolant, at least at a faster rate than when I bought it 5 months ago. My gas mileage is down too. Sounds like I might have some cylinder leakage issues ? I need to check the plugs too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks.