General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP!!! Car is shifting hard and shaking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP!!! Car is shifting hard and shaking.

So, let me start with a little bit of back ground on the car. I bought it in July and the dealer said they replaced the clutch in it when they received it and I am the second owner of the car. After I drove the car for awhile I taught the wife how to drive it (which she did really good). And, she has been the primary driver since then.

Now for how the problem happened...I was driving down the highway and a friend had flown by me. So, I downshifted and caught up to him. As I up shifted, I missed the gear. Not long after that the car started to shake, not violently but definitely noticeable. I than slowed down to put gas in the car and to see if anything really obvious was wrong with the car. Everything seemed ok so I continued home. But, the car than became hard to shift. Putting it in 1st gear was tough, 1-2 is a little easier, and than they become easier after that. The higher the revs, the harder it is to put it into gear. And, it is getting to be almost impossible to put it into reverse. Also, downshifting is really difficult unless the revs drop down to idle.

Things I have noticed since than...
-the shaking seems to go with the engine. Like as I rev it up a little bit the shaking gets a little worse, but it is always there. It is the worst when I am backing into my garage, which is uphill. When I'm doing this the clutch is all the way out and gas is just barely being pushed if at all.
-if I sit in my garage, engine running, clutch pushed in, and run it through the gears, you can hear something rubbing together when its in every gear. (I'm assuming the pressure plate on the flywheel)
-after doing this for a little bit the garage smells bad (haha)
-there is no CEL
-the clutch does not seem to be slipping at all and the power delivery seems to be completely the same as the day I bought it
-there is no a clunk every once in a while when I'm slowing down

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this and lead me in the right direction on what things I should be looking for next. I am very mechanically inclined (college educated even ) Just don't have any experience with european cars and very little with diagnosing transmission problems.