General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! Car Won't Move!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Default Help! Car Won't Move!

HELPPPP!!!!!!!! I have a 2005 audi quattro 1.8T tiptronic with 54,000 miles. I was coming home and i made a left turn onto a side street when i heard a very loud "grinding, clunking, and knocking" like noise coming from somewhere in the front end of the car. I'm not sure where exactly, but it sounded more to the right side front end. The car immediately became harder to drive and the noise became louder, as soon as i pulled to the side of the road and put it into park the noise went away. There was smoke coming from under the car and an immense amount of heat coming from the right side of the engine. When different gears were selected (other than park) the noise immediately came back, but now to find out that the car wouldn't even move! the engine revved and the noise was still there, but the car still didn't move. I also noticed that even when i selected park that the car still moved involuntarily, therefore i had to pull the handbrake up. So, please.........what can this be?!?!?!? I'm so stressed, because i just had to change the ignition coil packs because they failed last week and therefore i had some engine problems. I only had the car serviced last week. BTW, would i need to get a flat bed or can i just have the car towed to the dealership? Thanks!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Help! Car Won't Move!

Sounds to me like serious transmission issues, VAG would be kinda nice especially if the check engine light is on. Depending on if neutral works or not you might need a flatbed since its a quattro, youd have to put it on jacks and spin the wheels i suppose to find out even then it wouldnt be for sure cuase youd be moving them fairly slowly. If your out of warantee dont have the dealership do it.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

I guess it is good if you ask an automotive technician in your nearest place so they can check your car personally. I hope it helps. I’ve read auto information at autopartswarehouse.com it includes car tips and car repairs.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

i recommend going to a transmission shop... not a local oil change... and your out of warranty unless you bought used and have audi assured.

if you have assured just bring it to the dealer... if not a trans shop... but research around your area. cause not all shops are good shops

Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

It sound's like you might have lost your front right CV axle. The transmission is trying to drive it while in gear, but the differential gearing is not enough to drive the left one. If that's all it is, you'd be lucky as it can be fixed fairly easily.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:56 PM

rsvmike, you were on the ball. Had the car towed to the dealership and it turns out that it was indeed a broken axle. Fortunately, i have extended warranty and i ended up paying $65. YaY!