General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help needed Auto Transmission Over Revs on 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Help needed Auto Transmission Over Revs on 2nd gear

I hope if anyone here could help me. My automatic Transmission on AUDI 100 2.6V6 over revs at 2nd gear. What causes this? Other than this I have no problem on the transmission.

Really appreciate your help guys.

Aron

Old 01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help needed Auto Transmission Over Revs on 2nd gear

Not sure what you mean by over rev, but if the engine suddenly revs during acceleration in 2nd gear, it sounds like the tranny may be slipping in that gear or while shifting into that gear.

I'd perform a transmission flush and filter change first. That will usually improve or eliminate this type of problem from my experience on most auto transmissions. I just got a '92 Audi 100 S and it does slip slightly from 2nd to 3rd during hard acceleration. I plan on doing a tranny flush and see where things are at after that myself.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Well i just flushed the transmission and changed the filter a week ago. You see this happened while i floored the pedal during overtaking while climbing hill and after that i have this problem. Its just that when in 2nd gear moving to 3rd the transmission revs up suddenly to 2800rpm then shifts to third but no problems when the gear is downshifting or whatsoever...do you think there might be any other possibilities and any other way i cud get this done? Thanks...

Old 01-02-2008, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

I mean when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd, it goes up well to 2000rpm then suddenly it revs to 2800rpm and then shifts to third...

Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

Not sure on that one. Did the problem start before or after you did the flush? If you just did the flush and its started since, keep checking the fluid level to make sure its topped off. If the problem was there before and still persists after the flush I don't know what could cause that other than perhaps the tranny needing more service, which I wouldn't attempt myself.

I'm by far no expert though. I was a mechanic in the military on heavy equipment, and just got back into wrenching on my own cars after a 12 year hiatis, so I'm really just getting back into the swing of things.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

This problem occured after the flush not immediatly though after 3 weeks and it started after the kickdown operation..but funny the gear is working normally except for that and has good performance and no problem. The problem here is if you take it to the shop those jerks there would rip you off by saying you have to change your tranny as its gone. As they are just looking to make more money off you.

By the way what model do you own? Mine's 2.6 V6. Done most of the repairs on this car myself as i had a bad experience of getting ripped off. Good mechanics are hard to find here. I wonder if its possible to find a workshop manual for this model so that i could diagnose the problem. Do you think you have it back there? By the way am from Malaysia

Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

I understand not wanting to take it into a shop and get ripped off. I've repaired quite a few things on my car myself as well. I got it cheap for a reason and knew I'd have to do some work on it. It's old. But its an Audi, so its a pleasure to drive. For the price its a lot nicer to drive around in that a rickety tin can of a Japanese car.

Mine is a '92 100 S FWD. I believe the engine is a 2.8 on mine, but it is the V6. I think the V6 was basically the same engine for many model years, but I could be mistaken.

As for the manual, some other people that have been around here longer may have good resources on were to purchase one. I know you can order the Bentley manual from their site either as a hard copy or get the CD. It's a bit pricey though and I haven't forked over the money for it yet. I don't know if it would help much more with troubleshooting though either unless you have a VAG-COM and can get some codes to cross reference with in the manual or at least help narrow down the diagnosis. I'm sure it is very helpful though with identifying were things are located on the car and correct procedures for dis-assembly and re-assembly.