General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with Rad Fan on a A6 C6 2.0TDI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Help with Rad Fan on a A6 C6 2.0TDI

Evening,

I am new to this forum and sorry if this is being posted in the wrong place, however recently my radiator fan on my C6 A6 has stopped working, I checked and it seems to come dis attached from the motor itself.

So I am thinking of buying a new fan and fitting it myself, however I have a few questions. (I am happy to work on the car myself but am not sure how to remove the fan)

Firstly all of the fans I find under the factory code 4F0959455 seem to be the fan/motor and the loom but with open wiring at the end of the loom, is this normal and has anyone done this before as I wouldn't want to cut the controller loom and find out I shouldn't be doing it.

Secondly I can't see at all how to get the fan off without taking the radiator out of the car, does anyone have any tips on doing it as it's quite tight in there and I wouldn't want to miss anything.

Finally has anyone had this before where the motor still kicks in but as the fan seems to have come off it just won't spin, could it be a case of me just pushing the fan back onto the motor shaft or are they bonded on?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear

Unfortunately, there isn't much space between the radiator, fan, and engine to work as you have found out. My experience is that the electric fans can be removed with the radiator in the car if you can squeeze your hand in there with a socket wrench. A few choice words and a few scraped knuckles usually does the trick. The electrical connection for the fan should just be a plug connection on the fan motor itself. The fan blades are usually just pressed on and a c-clip or a nut holding it on the shaft. What year model is your car.