General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How To Do ATF Change ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Default How To Do ATF Change ?

How is it going guys, I am new to this forum and i have a problem which i am really hoping is related to low transmission fluid,
I have a 1996 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 (AUTO) 210 KM (approx. 130 MILES) and just recently i noticed on the highway or in general my fifth gear does NOT engage and just stays in fourth, also on cold start in cold weather when i put it in gear its rough and it seems as it bangs into the gear, would this be caused by low fluid.
None the less I would like to know how to get to the plug to top off the fluid, I found one diagram but I was still unsure where it was, if someone could help me that be greatly appreciated i am looking for a diagram that would show me how to top off and drain the fluid, THANKS IN ADVANCE, Luke.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How To Do ATF Change ?

Welcome to the forum, Luke. Low/ dirty tranny fluid could cause your symptoms, and so could other mechanical issues inside the tranny. Sorry my '95 2.8 is 5sp manual... I thought in '96 the Audi auto trans. still had the fluid-level dipstick? No ?
Hope some one on this forum has you model/yr , had done it and can help/ give you pics.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Thanks, I checked the engine bay and read on other forums that it's a closed box so no dip stick which is too bad if anyone has pics of where the refill plug is please post.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:09 PM
4th Gear

sadly the auto tranny is a PITA to work work with i know in the newer tip trannies you need to have the car with the wheel spinng or something of that sort, but since you have the older non tip tranny i believe it just like replaceing the fluid in any other auto, when you need to have the car running and start filling and shifting through the gear as you fill, best to take this one to the dealer or a independent shop, not jiffy lube, most of them i doubt they know what their doing.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:17 AM

anyone with a diagram i been searching the web like crazy but didnt get anything good[>:]

Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

If you want to DIY/ save money, why not look into getting a repair manual, Bentley, Mitchell, or Haynes. I paid last year from Amazon $ 80 for Bentley for my '01 A6, it's paid for itself many times over.
IF you don'e have the fill dip-stick for your auto., when underneath the car, find the transmission. Look for a plug at the side of the tranny, if you remove this and the car is fairly level, you should be able to put your finger into the hole and feel the fluid. On sealed trannies, this is the fill hole, fill it up until the fluid starts to flow out. Hope that helps.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:58 PM

Thank for the helpI changed the fluid but still have the 5 th gear engaging anyone have any ideas what it could be