General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to jack up a A4.. HIGH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Default How to jack up a A4.. HIGH!

I have a 99.5 A4 quattro. I need to jack it up atleast 2half feet off the ground cause I gotta pull the trans, that thing is huge! I have a large shop jack and a smaller one along with a set of 4 drive up ramps. Was thinking maybe cinderblocks? How safe is something like that.. any thoughts.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

O and I also have Jackstands..

Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

No ideas?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator

You may find that on ramps, you can get jackstands underneath it at a good height. Since the wheels will be off the car, you can probably maneuver the transmission out by bringing the widest/highest point (the bellhousing) out through the wheel well, with the rest coming out from under the car. I've done it that way on a number of cars and it always worked.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You may find that on ramps, you can get jackstands underneath it at a good height. Since the wheels will be off the car, you can probably maneuver the transmission out by bringing the widest/highest point (the bellhousing) out through the wheel well, with the rest coming out from under the car. I've done it that way on a number of cars and it always worked.
what are safe jack point under the audi? I know about the sides obviously but is there one in the front and one in the rear? I'm prob going to go get a 2x10 also and just puck up the stands 1 by 1 untill I feel I have enough clearance. Then I have my wheels and an extra set I'm going to stack under the car just incase something goes wrong.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

you could use a floor jack to raise it up to a certain height and then use a hi-lift to get it up higher. but make sure you put the jackstands underneath before you use the hi-lift.

and do be careful!
the 2x10 wood blocks are probably not a great idea. cinderblocks make me cringe now when i hear them being used.

ironically, we just took a guy for an emergent craniotomy this past week who had decided to put his A8 on some cinderblocks to pull his engine and tranny. the cinderblocks actually broke while he was underneath and the car came down and smashed his forehead. he had a huge epidural hematoma that we evacuated! luckily he's alive and no major brain damage occurred, well at least not anymore than he had to begin with.

anyways.... moral of the story is to use the proper stuff like jackstands, ramps, or a car lift. ie.... probably not the best decision to use the cinderblocks or the 2x10 wood blocks. it will definitely cost less to pay for the proper stuff instead of the hospital bill.

that is unless f course you'd like to help me or any other resident out with our residency programs... i'd be glad to take you to the OR. I need the experience and cases for graduating and board certification!