General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ignition problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Default ignition problem...

hi everyone,

i drive an audi a4 1.8 ts (95 model) and have an interesting sporadic problem...

it first manifested itself several months ago and is driving me mad!!

one day i jumped into the car , put the key into the ignition turned it over as usual and the engine started, turned over for a few seconds, then died...

the battery was fine, i tried again and again, but no joy...

i had the car taken to the garage and they informed me that the cars immobilizer was kicking in due to a slight bend in the ignition key (which there was), so £120 later and with a new key, the problem seemed to have gone away...

a couple of weeks later, whilst parked in a multi storey car park, guess what?, the same thing happened!, the engine would turn over and die, exactly the same way it did before the key was replaced.

so the car was returned to the garage once more, and they then diagnosed that there was a switch in the ignition itself which was faulty and needed replacing, another hundred quid...

a couple of months passed and the problem has returned!!, this time they think it might be a coil that sits in the ignition barrel that reads the signal sent by the transponder in the key, its going to cost £160 , but it seems to me that they are just clutching at straws on this one and to be honest i dont want to go through this expense only to find the problem manifesting itself again in the future.

wierd thing is, the last time it happened (over the bank holiday weekend) by taking the key out of the ignition and kindof "jigging" it in and out of the ignition and then turning it, the car started ok??...

anyone ever experienced this problem / have any tips as its driving me mad!!

hope someone can help...

all the best,

chris

Old 09-02-2004, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: ignition problem...

Welcome to the forum...

sorry I cant help as the us models dont have immobilizers... hey we dont even have a 95 model year

Old 09-04-2004, 04:16 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: ignition problem...

Welcome to the forum bougeac!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. The info is well received by all and we are here to help anyone with the need. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

If you're not familiar with this forum, please click the START HERE!link. There you will find a forum vocab list, an Audi forum terminology list and an Audi lexicon list. They should be very helpful to you if you're not familiar with the jargon.

Please feel free to ask any question, but double check the archives first. Many questions have been archived and, quite often, the answers are comprehensive.
================================================== ====================================
Your answer may be found by talking with your local blokes at Audi Sport. Most of the guys on that site are from the UK and could probably help you sort this out. Don't forget to return here and let us know how it was resolved so that it can be listed in the archives. Good luck.