General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

lost remote control key - replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 AM
1st Gear
Default lost remote control key - replacement?

I have a 1998 A4 Quatro, and I lost my keyless remote entry key. I have another key that works to drive the car, but no handy door unlock thing. Can I buy a replacement uncut key fob on ebay for $20 and make it work? Is there a chip I have to worry about? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi Remote Cntrl Keys

My wife's '99 A4 had ONE remote when we got it.
In our case, the body of the key broke -- it gave us the INCENTIVE to get replacements.
Likewise, I ordered two blanks off the internet, I think mine were $25 each.
When I tried to get them cut, the Audi dealer wanted a STUPID amount for them $175 for one, $325 for two. They claimed it was because they were bonded locksmiths and they had to program the keys to the car and that the whole process was very technical.

(CODE for bleed the customer for as much as he has).

I called several other places, some of the independents were just as aweful. My mechanic suggested the VW dealership because many parts are the same. Turns out, the LAZER cutting by the VW guys cost me $8.25 per key. I drove over and they whipped them out in 10 minutes. They actually charged me less for two keys. Pleasently surprised. They gaurenteed their work and said they'd replace the metal blank if it didn't work.

FYI, it was the VW dealership in Westlake Auto Mall, Westlake Village, Ca.

My mechanic programmed the keys, it took like 30 seconds per key. (No charge)
In your case, if the car key is lost, and if you can prove you're the owner (registration + Dr.Lic), you should be able to get another from the dealer. I suggest the VW dealer to start.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Just the 2 button remote for your 98 is 8L0-959-753-01C for 78.75 dollars. And because your car doesn't have the immoblizer in it, can be programmed by you. But you need 2 keys to do it.

And you guys are right, VW can cut the keys. The same flat blade key machine that does our Audi keys does Porsche and can do VW as well. I'm hoping I understood you correctly, that you are looking for the remote and not the key. If I'm wrong please let me know. Thank you, Jeff.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 AM
1st Gear

I lost my only keyless entry key. I have a key that I have to stick in the keyhole to unlock the car. So if I buy 8L0-959-753-01C for 78.75 dollars how do I program it?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

If you have only one non remote key that you use the manually unlock the doors and start the car, then you need to get another key cut. The procedure is to use one key to turn the key to the ON position, then shut and lock the door manually with the other key. Then with the new remote in your hand you press the unlock button, wait 5 seconds, press unlock button again and the lights should blink. Then it's programmed. If that doesn't work then try the same procedure but use the trunk lock instead of the drivers door.