General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Technical advice needed - please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Technical advice needed - please help

Hi all,

I am after some advice/opinion. Here are the problems:

Coolant light coming on 3 times in 6 months, coolant topped up but obviously there is a problem. Audi completed a pressure test and found nothing. They now want to start pulling apart the car to investigate further as they suspect it's a leak in the cylinder (apologies, I don't know much about cars). The bill for this diagnostic work alone is £1000.00.

Fly wheel also needs looking at. Diagnostic for this is £300.00.

Car is 2006 and has done 60,000 and I have only had it for 6 months. It's an auto with flappy paddles.

Car is still under warranty (3rd party company, not audi), so all work (and diagnostics) will be covered by warranty if leak in the cylinder actually is the problem and fly wheel is mechanical (rather than wear and tear). So it could work OK money wise for me as long as this is the case.

So I guess I'm asking:
Has anyone has had similar problems with coolant light and what was the problem i.e. could it be something other than the cylinder. FYI there are no white marks around the cap.
Is it common for a fly wheel to have problems (there's a knocking sound when turning the wheel) after this time i.e could it be wear and tear
Any other info/advice?

Thanks very much for reading my post

Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

On mine, the coolant reservoir had a float in it that, when the level got too low, would trigger the coolant light.

My float was cracked, and sit about half-way under the surface instead of floating on top. It would trigger the light every once in a while.