General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My Audi 90 is bleeding from somewhere

Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear
Default My Audi 90 is bleeding from somewhere

I have a 1993 Audi 90 Quattro. It has an oil leak on the front of the engine block around the Water pump and Idler pulley. Once oil startsmoving , I get a slow constant out flow of oil around that area. It makes it's way down to the Crankshaft area before pouring out to the ground. I took off the front plastics thinking it was the crank seal only to find out it was coming from a higher source. I traced it as far as I could without removing components off the timing belt system. I can see it collecting just behind and above the idler roller. I don't know what would be leaking in the area of the idler roller on the left side of the engine??? Is there a oil plug in the block or possibly a crack? The oil doesn't come out very pressureized So I'm thinking it's leaking out on it's way back to the pan. Any ideas would help.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: My Audi 90 is bleeding from somewhere

Somebody has to know something???

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

I have now removed the TB, water pump, idler and tensioner rollers. I believe the leak is coming from the oil pump. It is a massive unit bolted to the front of the engine block and driven off the crank shaft. It is directly below the water pump. I think the paper thin gasket is leaking pressurized fluid out the top of the unit. The bolt seemed loose as well. I have tightened them and I will install the other parts later to check if it still leaks. To replace the gasket requires removal of both oil pans and various other components. If still leaks that will be my next path.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

I have a 90s non quattro with the same problem kind of. I have a large amount of oil collecting on top of the block (around and near the spark plugs) which finds it's way down the front and rear of the engine. I was told that in order to fix it it would cost an arm and a leg in labor but the gasket is $25 (go figure) and I was told it was the rear main seal. Hope that helps and keep me in the loop cause if you decided to do it I would like to know how hard it was to do for I might do mine myself. also I noticed that I only have a leak when car is running it doesn't leak just sitting in the driveway. i hope I helped you out some.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Geez man, good luck with this project.
Keep us informed!