General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My Crazy Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear
Default My Crazy Blinkers

1994 cabriolet

Starting off, I think it it is the relay, and if anyone knows of a post or website that gives ok directions on how to find and replace it that would be awsome

What happens :

Sometimes the when I activate the blinkers (either right or left) instead of that side blinking, both sides blink like if I had turned on the hazards. Two ways I can get it to stop and work normal for a while is either (1)turn off the car and restart the engine, this usually makes the blinkers work for a bit. (2) if I tap the blinkers arm just enough to make the blinkers flash and do this real fast it will *unstick* it eventually, but niether of these obviously are fun things to do when trying to make a turn

Let me know what you think Thanks!

Also, anyone know a DIY for changing a water pump on a 1994 cabriolet v6 ??

Last edited by TeddyRiley; 10-31-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: side note
Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

The flasher relay is built into the hazard light switch. If you dig through www.audidiy.com or the tech area of www.audiworld.com I believe there's a procedure there for the 96+ A4 on how to change it. Your cabrio should change out the same way (I've pulled the switches out of Audi Quattro coupes, 90s, and 100s, and they all came out the same way).

Old 11-14-2008, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the help Upstate, I found enough info to change my water pump and timing belt

Blinker Update ---

Well I changed the relay (actually under the dash) and it worked fine for a week but last night it started happening again

Now when the key is in the on position but the car isn't running the blinkers work fine, but when you start the car they instantly turn into hazards. The relay is fine I think, both blinkers and hazards are on the same circut and both use the relay.. I took apart the old relay and it still works.. I took out the hazard switch and it seems fine too.

I need the car to have blinkers so I can goto work.. anyone have a wiring diagram ? think I could rig it some how to work temp while I figure the root problem out ??

Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear

well I think I fixed, only time will tell really. I put a new hazard switch in and Its working so far ....

Old 11-17-2008, 01:59 AM
1st Gear

Damn, they messing up still... guess I gotta buy a bentley

Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 AM
1st Gear

Update --

Still not fixed But I have found a new riddle with it...

If I have the heater on, lights on, and I push up/down on my power window buttons (up/down depending on if window is up/down , it puts a draw on the electrical system and makes my lights dim abit) they go from Haz to blinking like they should.. let up on the window button and right back to Hazards.

Ground problem ?!?
Alternator issue ?!? (rember they work fine when car not running)

Crazy