General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need High RPM to engage 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Default Need High RPM to engage 1st gear

Hello,

I have a 99 A4 T1.8 Manual 95K miles. I had been away for the past month and got back to a dead battery. After the jump it stalled as soon as I took off the handbrake without touching the gas or clutch. It stalled and on next start attempt it clicked a bunch and then nothing. I jumped it again and let it idle for 15 minutes. It now wants to stall every time I take off the e-brake, unless I give it gas.

I could only get it into reverse and then 1st gear at high RPM and it bucked as I drove it down the block. I got it into 2nd but again only at high RPM before pulling over on a stall w/dead battery. My limited experience has me guess either clutch or timing belt at 95K miles. My previous 2 VWs have made it to 125K without clutch repair before trade in, so this is not something I have experienced before. The car was driven 200 miles just before I parked previous to this problem.

One other thought was when I first jumped it I mistakenly had the key engaged (I heard clicking and quickly removed cables) but doubt this is something electrical. or maybe I now have two separate problems. The battery is 3 years old.

Does anyone have any thoughts before I have it towed to the shop or dealer?

Thanks, in advance.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need High RPM to engage 1st gear

I don't know much about cars, but my '89 200QT has experienced some similar issues. It does the high RPM thing if i back up more than about a car length and then try to move forward. And it's jerky if i let up off the gas even a little while it's doing this. This had been (I believe) the warning sign that my clutch was going out, because my clutch actually doesn't work now. If you notice your clutch slipping at all, take it in. I'd say take it in anyway, if you can afford it. That's just my opinion, and like I said, I don't know much about cars, but the guys (or gals) on this forum should be able to give you a hand.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

it just seems too inconsistent w/ a typical problem... i dunno if i'm confused by the description or you have several problems and they need to be seperated.

it would be an issue i'd have to see and drive for myself. i think most people will say the same

Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 AM
4th Gear

the clicking was the car doinga TB alignment, with a donor battery or jumping position put the key in again to teh the click before a start and let it sit for a few mintues the thorttle body should align itself.