General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New guy dumb rookie mistake

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default New guy dumb rookie mistake

hey everyone, first time Audi owner. I picked up a 2017 A4 premium plus for my wife. We love it, and it’s the nicest car I’ve owned.

Tonight I was changing the oil using the extractor method, I’m usually a drain plug guy, but had one and gave it a go.

I pulled out about 5 qts, and everything was going smooth. Then I noticed the last few inches of hose material must’ve broke off inside the sump.

I immediately thought that I’d need to pull the pan off and retrieve the broken piece, by my lift at work was occupied for the next few days.

Then I thought the pickup strainer would surely not allow anything past, and I could take my time with planning this out properly, getting the right gasket, looking at the torque specs etc...

so so I filled it up with oil and drive home, about 4 miles. Everything seems fine.

My question to you all, how involved is piulling the pan? And is it even time critical for a 4” section of plastic tubing?

Im mechanically inclined, been turning wrenches for the last 18 years in the Coast Guard. Mostly big diesels found in large ships, MTU, Caterpillar, Detroit, Mann, and Fairbanks Morse. I’m also a certified Honda Marine mechanic.

Im open to all feedback and suggestions. This car only has 18k on it and I’d like to keep it optimum.

Thanks

Brian