General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Light/Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Default Oil Light/Engine Noise

2001 Audi A4, 1.8T, Automatic, Quattro. 90,000 miles. I just had the Timing Belt and Water Pump replaced about 1 week ago. Also Tune Up, Oil change, and other basic maintenance done to it. Every thing was great until I drove for about and hour and a half at 75 mph, when the oil light came on. I checked the oil, and it was full, and continued on. When I got off the interstate the engine was making a noise, that come on and off as the engine's rpms increased and decreased. At that point I shut it down and hadto have it towed back home, ($276). I've taken it back to the mechanic who did the work, and as of now he is stumped. He says oil pressure is good. Any ideas?

Old 03-28-2008, 01:41 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Oil Light/Engine Noise

what noise, this sounds like sludge build up in teh pick up tube causeing low oil pressure (hence the light) and since not enough oil is getting to the lifters and cams your getting a ticking noise (im assuming this is the noise) if this sounds about right, get some seafoam (or other engein detergent) and run it in the system for maybe 10-15 mintues, after which drain the oil, pull off the oil pan and clena out the oil pick up tube. just note, im a 2.8 driver but this is a commonality on the 1.8t and best to talk to some of the 1.8t guys since at one point or another they had the dreaded oil light and slugde issue. but also note audi has a recall and if teh engine dies on you and you have all your maintence record and oil records, theyll put in a new engine at no cost to you.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SAudi
but also note audi has a recall and if teh engine dies on you and you have all your maintence record and oil records, theyll put in a new engine at no cost to you.
I would not get your hopes up on that... especially if your maintenance and repairs are not done at the Audi Dealer.

and i wouldn't personally do anything... i'd put it all on the shop. if it didn't do it before. and its doing it now, you need to put it on them to fix it. fix it right. and fix it for free.

if they refuse... threaten to report them to the better business bureau

Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

i KINDA had that same problem. i bought a K04 turbo from e-bay and the seller that sold it to me never tightened to bolt that held the turbine in. anyways, yada, yada, yada, the bolt flew through my turbo destroying it and little metal shard went through the oil, to the pan and, and up the oil pump blocking it and giving me the oil light. had to rebuild the turbo, and take out the oil pan and replace the oil pump. if you have to do that, may God be with you cause it's not fun to do it yourself. i did it my self, and i would NEVER do itagain if i don't have to. you have to lift the engine or drop the bottom and no, never again. anyways. that won't let the oil get into the engine and eventually will run dry and give you teh ticking. good call on the tow, but that bad thing is that AFTER you replace everything, that ticking won't go away. you'd probably have to replace those parts that were scratched up from running dry. good luck with it!