General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Sensor Light and rodents?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Default Oil Sensor Light and rodents?

I have a 2006 A4 2.0T with 42,000 miles on it.The car is still under the original warranty and I purchased the extended warranty at the time of sale.
The oil sensor light came on and I took it to the dealership to get checked. They informed me that rodents chewed through the wiring and that this occurs a lot in the winter when the temps drop. I know that I do not have rodents in my garage and I suspect the dealership is feeding me a line of BS. Has anyone ever heard of this?
I had to pay $235.00 as this wasn't covered under the warranty. Needless to say I'm a little pissed off. Please Help.....

Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Oil Sensor Light and rodents?

Did you ask to see the gnawed wiring on the old sensor? At least in NY, from what I understand, the law states that they have to keep the parts they remove until you leave the shop with the job complete, so that you have the ability to inspect them and see that they did actually need to be changed.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM
3rd Gear

Ive seen it a bunch of times and the customer always claims no rodents. Those things hide in all sorts of places. Just because you dont see them it doesnt mean they arent there. In any case there are no old parts to save. They just need to repair the wires that the rodents chewed thru. If you really want you can pull the belly pan down and inspect the wires. You should see some repairs on the wires about 4-5 inches from the oil level sensor in the bottom of the pan.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:08 AM
4th Gear

Check with your insurance company. It might be like vandalism and covered under Comp.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 AM

I actually did get the wiring back and inspected it and found no nawing marks. The only thing on the wiring were the marks where the wiring was cut by the technician. My house is only one year old and not yet infested by the normal household pests. After closely inspecting my garage I found no rodent skat or other trace evidence of rodent infestation.

My question now is, is there any way these wires would fail are become frayed on their own? I've had several unexplained electrical problems with this car since purchasing it. The first was the igniter for the xenon headlights the day after I drove it off the lot. The other item was the left rear tail light failed at which time it was discovered that all the wires were unexplainably severed. Do the 2006 A4 models have a history of electrical issues?

At this point I feel that the dealership is trying to pull one over on me and failing to honor the warranty.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:54 PM
3rd Gear

Ignitors do go out sometimes, even on new/low milage cars. The wiring for the light is strange thou. I bulb going out is not uncommon at all, but cut wiring seems out of place.

You need to look at the wires on the car. You should see a taped area to indicate where the repair was made. If no area is repaired i would be skeptical.