General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Opinion on dealer repair gone wrong?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 PM
TVO
Default Opinion on dealer repair gone wrong?

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2000 Audi A8 that I took to the dealer for it's 90K service. Well what do you know, the dealer tells me the water pump is leaking, now I haven't noticed any coolant leaks or low coolant levels, but I have an extended warranty so I told them to call my warranty company and if they cover it then go ahead and replace it.

So while they are doing the repair they said that they couldn't get two bolts off the water pump, the bolts were rusted they said and they broke off the heads. So now they are trying to get them out and don't know if they can or not. They did not inform me until after they had broken them and said it's going to be an additional 6 hours of time to try and get the broken bolts out, if they can even do it... So now they tell me I have to pay for half the time for them to remove the bolts. Do you think this is fair? I need an opinion on this, what is the responsibility of the mechanic/dealer/repair shop and what is my responsibility.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Opinion on dealer repair gone wrong?

The dealer should take full responsibility, but they aren't required to compensate you for the technicians time. Those damn extended warranty companies probably won't help you out on this either.
However there is a light of hope, most people that go through this kind of thing usually complain to the service manager and express their concerns about how un-fair a repair like this is and most times the servivce manager will cover the mechanics repair time. Thats what i would recommend you do, just don't be rude to any of the personell because that will get you nowhere...

Old 06-09-2007, 12:33 AM
TVO
Default RE: Opinion on dealer repair gone wrong?

I will do my best to come to a amiable conclusion. Thanks for the advice! You are right that the extended warranty company is not going to help, the dealer already tried. I don't blame the extended warranty company though.