General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problems with A4 1.9 tdi B5

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Problems with A4 1.9 tdi B5

Hello to everyone. I am new to the forum and know very little about engines, so I hope you all understand if I sound a bit stupid. I was on a tight budget and got this car for around $3300 (in my local currency). It is an Audi A4 1.9 Tdi Ahu B5 year 2000 with 180,000kms on the clock.

The car was not used for 6 months before I bought it. The engine is very noisy and it shudders a lot. It's noisier than my dad's Isuzu pick-up! Also the car really lacks power, so many times happens that the car will not pull in third gear on a flat road and i have to go on second gear. It also shuts off quite often when I start up in first gear. The car drives ok once it's gained enough momentum on the motorway. I thought I'd take it to a mechanic for a complete servicing and bought all the filters, semi-synthetic oil etc. However the guy told me that the car doesn't drive right and to take it for a diagnostic. Got to a Bosch diagnostic center and the guy connected it to a laptop which revealed something about MAF - he unplugged and replugged the MAF port and somehow the error was gone. Apart from that, no other errors were found. He said the idle rpm was a bit too much at 1015 and when warm it goes up and down between 950 and 1000 (also you can hear the engine sound going up and down simultaneously). He suggested to have the fuel pump serviced as well as the one electronic injector.

The next day a friend suggested that I visit a mechanic who specializes in diesel engines. Took the car there and explained everything revealed by the diagnostic but he was adamant that there was something wrong inside the engine itself, may be a cylinder or something else inside. He thought the engine noise was excessive. He asked me to take the car back this week so he can disassemble the engine at a cost of $1000.

I would appreciate your advise as I know little about engines and don't want to be ripped off Please take a look at the video I uploaded on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv_7-...ature=youtu.be