General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

random tech - oil change and motor mounts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM
1st Gear
Default random tech - oil change and motor mounts...

Ehh, just felt like blowing some steam here...

Absolutely thrilled with this site, I am new to DIY and it feels good...

Obviously there is some learning curve

Oil change went well, a bit of a mess without that bleeder for the filter canister, I am going to look into either getting a tool or making one...

Over the last month or two, I had a motor mount fail and another on the way...I got the non-hydraulic version by Stern and quite like the build quality and the fact that they are mechanical and can be rebuilt. I went ahead and got all mounts (2 motor, snub, and 1 transmission).

Passenger side mount was a real chore, and fortunately my dad was assisting that day.

Also, why the hell they don't give enough room at the jack points to get a floor jack up, and then put a stand under there I dinged up the underside just a bit, f**k it though.

Man those Stern mounts are FIRM. I been dicking around trying to adjust the snub, and re-installing and uninstalling the trans mount, swapping stock back in and out...

Learning curve comes here...

So I figured I must have stripped the connecting the trans and mount, as the bolt went missing...

So I order the bracket part...only to find that actually the whole assembly is considered the transmission mount. So basically I paid $200 for a bolt The part I thought I stripped was actually just a nut I had knocked into a position that was no way I was gonna get it started again

finished everything last night.

No matter, I am going to have to get up under there ONE MORE TIME and put the stock trans mount back in for a smoother ride. I think the trans mount with the stock motor mounts, or the Stern motor mounts with the stock trans mount are a good compromise, but all 4 together, man at some rpm, it just feels and sounds like the doors are going to come loose.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I'll be posting my MIL codes here in a while, see what else I need to work on...I am afraid I may have over-oiled my KN airfilter and may need a new MAF or O2 sensor...we'll see

Old 04-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Senior Administrator

Good luck with finding the right combo of mounts. sounds like you are well on your way to conquering the learning curve. keep us posted on your progress.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Good luck with finding the right combo of mounts. sounds like you are well on your way to conquering the learning curve. keep us posted on your progress.
I'm satisfied with them now - Stern (soft) for the motor mounts and whatever their standard snub is. Then I put the stock transmission mount back on. It is a good compromise between performance and comfort. Just a bit of vibration at idle when the A/C is on, but totally tolerable.

I had to get up under there anyway as I forgot to snug the oil drain plug

I need to go ahead and get me a service manual would have saved me the extra trouble and $$$ on the transmission mount.