General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Default Reliability?

So I don't exactly have a problem with an actual car, but I thought this might be the best place to post this question since apparently the people who know how to fix cars will be here.

I'm thinking about buying a usedAudi A4 and they seem to have a decent reliability record, but the problem is that I live about 100 miles from the nearest dealership. My brother is a pretty big car guru and between him and agreat local mechanic I've never had much of an issue getting my current car (Honda Accord) fixed quickly, inexpensively, and locally. My biggest concern about buying an Audi is that I may have to take it out of town often to get it serviced or repaired. So I have a couple of questions...

Many European cars are notorious for requiring specialty tools andskills that makeit difficult to get them repaired by anyone but a dealer or speciality mechanic - is this so for Audi's?

If so, what types of problems am I facing that I would have to take it to a dealer for?

What kind of problems could I get taken care of by a regular mechanic?

What's the likelyhood of a total breakdown in a well maintained Audi?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Reliability?

I have a 2000 A4 2.8 L, and although I love the car and how it drives, reliable is probably the last word I would use to describe it. Since I bought it in 2003, I've had the following problems: computer screen on instrument panel can hardly be read, passenger and both rear windows have broken, replaced timing belt and water pump, replaced front transaxles, had abs module rebuilt, airbag light is on, and I'm about to replace all four shocks, replace tie rod ends (which are broken) and I'm afraid the CV axles might be going again soon too. I also have some sort of glitch with the stereo where settings will mysteriously change. If you do buy an audi, I would recommend picking up a repair manual for it too. Some of the stuff I've been able to fix myself. But others (such as water pump and timing belt) I had to bring the car in for. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

sillygirl,

you have got to realize that the majority of the things that you listed wrong with you car are wear & tare items. You've got to remember that even tho you have a well built european car, itIS 7 years old. I bought a 98 about 4 months ago and so far I've done the timing belt/water pump, complete control arm job, and now my cam chain tensioner is getting replaced. I knew that there would be things that would give out...if you don't want to fix said things...buy a new car.

And for Carlyyy,

There really aren't any specialty tools needed, as long as your "connections" have a good knowledge of cars they should be fine. Just make sure your timing belt is changed about every 75,000 miles or so. Other than that just keep on top of regular maintenence and you'll be all good. An a4 with the 1.8T will probably be the highest upkeep compared to the 2.8L v6.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 PM
3rd Gear

Well it really depends on what year & model of car you purchase.
If you live near any major city, there will be a German Car shop for you.
Unless it's under warranty, I would stay clear from the Dealer, unless you like spending $100+ per hr for labor.

Yes, there are specialty tools, any car has then even Honda, it's just most independent shops work on Honda's so they have the tools.jj
They are very reliable, but require a lot more general manintaince then a Honda.

For a stock Audi, it would rare to have it leave you stranded. Most problems are either form lack of basic maintaince, or from BIG mods that affect drivability, or brake things form the new found power.

There is no blanket statement for what you ask. Way to man variables.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:05 PM

The particular car I'm looking at fairly seriously right now is a 2001 1.8T.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

Generally a 7-year-old Audi is going to have more problems than, say, a 7-year-old Toyota or Honda. It really depends on how the previous owner took care of it and how many miles are on it, but maintenance will be more frequent and more expensive with just about any car that old...even if it has been rock-solid reliable.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 AM
1st Gear

Carlyyy,
My 97 Audi A4 which I brought with 225,000 mileson the clock in April 2005 has been reliable. I have had a leaking front window, and the current dashboard problem, (which i think was related to the damp inside the car caused by my failure to get the leak sorted promptly).

Timing belt and wheel bearing replacementI class as wear and tear.One thing I should point out was that the Audi had a full service history from the local AUDI dealer from new. All the stamps. That makes a huge difference when considering long term reliability.
Pete

Old 02-09-2007, 07:33 AM
1st Gear

The other thing I can add Carlly is that the guy I brought it from stated that it had only broken down once in the time he had had it (since new)..... but the same could be said of my mum Peuguot 205.

The question is..would I buy another one. No. Initial cost outweighs any benifits the car might have despite the superior ride and comfort.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:45 AM

join any car site and ask the same question and you will then realise just how often cars break down due to poor maintenance or a heavy lead foot and even modding ( you get out what you put in ) and it dosnt matter if its a mini to a Ferrari

Old 02-10-2007, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

The bottom line is the reliability on the cars is sup par. The problems though tend to be of a nuisance andit is rare for an Audi to leave you on the sideof the road.Of all the German cars these have the least need for special tools but do require a mechanic that is knowledgable on these cars. The transmissions which on the quattro is mostly bullit-proof will require a specialty shop or factory dealer to work on it due to the fact that it is angle lifted and filled by computer then sealed. If you are changing from a Honda you will most likely be put out and supprised by the amount of minor problems you have. The Audi computer is told to trip for minor problems most other cars comouters would not pick up. An Audi is a true automobilewhere a Honda is a car! Most people who love Audis are true car enthusiasts and have a passion for driving. If you just need transportation this is probably not the right choice.