General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Service shop or Audi problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Service shop or Audi problem?

Hello all
In December I bought a Audi Q7 2007 model, however it was registered in August 2006. Basically I purchased the car privately in good faith, with a clause upon purchase that I will get the car serviced 120 000km (approx 75,000 miles) and if anything was discovered during the complete check of the car the previous owner will pay half the costs. The car had it’s 120000km service in early February at a recognised Audi dealership. The service technician clearly informs his mechanics to perform the service and completed check out the car as it was a new purchase. 5 minor items were identified, all of which are nothing to complain about. Two weeks ago noise was started to be emitted from underside of the car. I checked the drive shafts etc and came to the conclusion it was coming from the Transfer case (the item which distributes the torque from the gearbox to the front & wheel wheels). As I do not have very much confidence with the Audi garage that performed the service, I took it to another Audi approved garage. They now say the transfer case/box needs replacing due to wear. No oil was found inside, and I am told it needs replacing.
I am further informed this transfer case never needs any maintenance as this is a Maintenance-free lifetime lubricated gearbox.
Can someone offer me some advice on where I stand?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

Audi goodwill the way I see it as they Garage which performed the service should have checked the oil

Old 03-12-2011, 04:42 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation transfer case

I have spoken with two audi garages. The one which performed the service; which stipulated in the service check to "perform a complete check of the car". The technician noted and checked everything, I mean he even highlighted a light bulb which needs replacing under the passenger seat, too scratches down by the light!
The second audi garage is naturally willing to replace the transfer case at a nice price; $2500 transfer case, + >$1100 labor, but they state I should go back to the garage who performed the check of the car, which I did. I spoke with the servicing garage yesterday. Oringinally they accepted a mistake in not checking the oil in the gearbox & transfer case but then they back tracked when they realised what they were saying. I now have to take it up with Central Audi customer services..
With respect to the transfer case, your right they parts never seem to fail. I have checked everywhere for error reports and these parts are generally life time. I must note however the Trasnfer case is not on any service check, but as it's a mechanical part IT MUST be worth replacing the oil from time to time. In my instance, I had no oil in the transfer case, No leak was spotted so where did it all go!