General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I have dealership install new brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Should I have dealership install new brake pads?

The brake pads light just came on in my 2010 Audi Q7. Should I have the Audi dealership do this work or is this something most brake shops can do? I think the Audi dealership told me once it would be like $1800. Would rather not spend that kind of money. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2016, 01:02 PM
2nd Gear

JFC!! Really.? 1800 effin' dollars for a brake pad job? Do they take you to a special room in the back for a visit with a hot chic while they do it? Tell'em to take a long hike!! I don't call them the STEALER for nothing. ANY brake shop or mechanic shop can change the brake pads on these things. Buy the pads, NOT from the stealer either. You can get the OEM Pagid or Brembo pads here. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/201...e_pad_set.html That's if you don't need the sensors that snap into the new pads. Upi cam get them here too. http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/201...ad_sensor.html If you're brake pad warning light has not come on, you won't need new sensors. (Edit: you will need at least one sensor since the light has come on) Take them to the shop you want to change them and be done with it.

Last edited by dave944; 07-26-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

I USED to be an Audi dealer tech (emphasis on USED TO BE) and the $1,800 is for pads AND rotors. A good majority of the price is the overpriced German parts from Audi.

In a lot of cases the rotors can be reused if not scored or worn below the minimum thickness. They do tend to wear quite a bit by design. The idea of the rotor wearing is to lessen the chance of rust and warpage (brake pulse). When I worked at the dealer it was policy to replace pads AND rotors so as a tech I had no choice even if the rotors were fine. One of many reasons I got the bleep out and went to an excellent indy shop where we don't replace perfectly good parts for no reason

Old 07-30-2016, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear

The thing is that you can get those same parts in different colored boxes that are lot cheaper. Zimmerman rotors are OEM. There are very few service parts that you cannot get elsewhere other than the dealer for a fraction of the price and it is same part..... But you already know this... It pays to shop around. Some people apparently have shitloads of money to toss around for things like this. Even if I HAD that kind of money, I'd be damned if I paid that much for something I can do myself.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

I understand what you are saying 100%. The thing that always baffled me is why the dealers COST for parts is more than LIST for the same parts in a different box from somewhere else. Seriously. An example I remember is an accy. belt tensioner for a 1.8L. Dealer cost was something like $95 and didn't have it in stock anyways (car owner stranded). We got one from "downtown" (Carquest) and list price on it was $82. Opened the box and it was the EXACT same part from the same vendor. Only difference was where the OEM had the Audi 4-rings cast into it, this one had that spot ground off. Makes you wonder.........As I said, just one more of many reasons I got out of the new car dealer tech business and went "indy" 4 years ago and have never been happier I might add!

What I'm trying to say is, the dealer is forced to be more expensive on parts and as for labor, they have a lot more to pay for as far as overhead and equipment, mandatory special tools, etc...... than an indy shop. They don't pay the techs any more. Actually you make less because dealers all pay on flat-rape, I mean flat-RATE, and you get royal SCREWED on warranty work.

Sorry for going off on a tangent! All done now and I feel better

Last edited by aspen79; 07-30-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

I hear ya, bro.... LOL