General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I Total It or Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Should I Total It or Rebuild?

So I have a '99 Audi A4, 2.8L, that I am debating if I should scrap it and just buy a newer model, or slowly fix it as funds come available. Long story short, it has had two minor accidents. The first accident dented the front bumper, corner of the hood, and fender. The second accident dented the rear bumper and the trunk will probably need to be replaced.
I'm assuming the car has some wiring or sensors that needs to be replaced since all of the brake-related lights make my dashboard look like a Christmas tree. And finally, the clutch needs to be replaced.
The engine did have some problems a while back that I had a repair shop take care of, however I don't remember what the problem was.

At this point, should I just scrap the car and buy something like an '04, or should I slowly try to repair it? I also have a '94 Honda Civic that I can make minor repairs and whatnot on, but I'm unsure if the Audi will be easy to learn how to make such repairs, like the clutch. Suggestions?

Old 04-04-2013, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

It actually depends on your budget. If you can afford to buy a newer model, then go ahead. However, if you think you can also risk spending for such repairs, then why not save your '99 Audi A4?

As for the clutch, I heard the kit costs between $200-$500. That's actually going to you a lot if you know how to do it yourself. As you know, labor costs itself would kill you.

Here's a link that might help you replace your clutch on your own:

Audi A4 Clutch Replacement | Happy Wrenching