General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SPEED SENSOR...ABS!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Default SPEED SENSOR...ABS!!??

I just replaced a bad front wheel bearing yesterday on my 99 A4 quattro (80k); what a process that was!! After the installation, on the test drive, I cametothe first stop and noticed my right front (same side as the wheel bearing)ABS kicking in. It continued to pulsate at every stop until the ABS light came on which disabled the system. I figured that since I had to remove the speed sensor switch, on the spindle in order to replace thewheel bearing, the sensor tripped, responding to the adjustment. Today I removed the wheel and looked over all connections. I removed the sensor from thehub housing and noticed it had a small dent on the outer probe. I cleanedand installed the sensor back in it's position. I disconnected the battery (hoping it would reset the ECM) and tried driving the car again. The same issueoccurred at the first stop!! I amassuming now that I damaged the sensor and am now hoping I just need to replace it...???

I also could not find the disconnect of the sensor when removing the spindle assembly. I followed the attached wire all the way until it goes through the wheel well. I had to remove it from the hub housing, file a little plastic from the sides so that it would fit back into the spindle, and fed it up through the exit hole on the outer side (what a b*tch that was!!) Is there any easier way to do this??How do I install the new sensor?? Any advice or instruction wouldbe greatly appreciated, thanks.