General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Spraying coolant over top of engine (B5 S4)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Spraying coolant over top of engine (B5 S4)

Hi everyone, newbie here. My S4 (2001, MTM chip, short throw) is spraying coolant somehow over the top of the engine near the intake (see pic below).

Coolant level is ok (low, but not below the low line), no error codes (took it to a good mechanic who is very familiar with Audis), coolant system holds pressure (I watched the mechanic pressurize the coolant reservoir to 2x normal) and it's not dripping any coolant when off.

It seems to have sprayed a lot more during a track day over the weekend. I saw a few white specs a month or so ago and didn't think anything of it until now.

Any ideas? My mechanic says there isn't anything around this area that could really spray anything. The coolant reservoir is clean, so I'm pretty sure it's not coming from there.

Could it only be spraying when the engine is warmed up and being driven hard? I'm out of ideas and new to Audis so I'm not sure where to look for more information (I've Googled this issue for the past hour).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

For future people that find this forum post: there is a 2nd water pump under the intake that often fails. Check there!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Exactly what I was going to mention. The afterrun pump fails a lot on the 2.7T. Relocate it to the secondary firewall or ditch it altogether.

I'm surprised your mechanic didn't know anything about it...

Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil

I'm surprised your mechanic didn't know anything about it...
I agree, I took the car to a mechanic literally next door and without them looking at it they mentioned the second pump. Guess I won't be going back.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:13 AM
1st Gear
Default And bust

Bust, wasn't the second water pump. Mechanic thinks it's the coolant cap, but I'm not convinced, there is coolant being sprayed in areas where the coolant would have to do a complete 180 if it came from the cap. Sigh.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I keep looking a the picture. head scratching. thinking about it. I can't really come up with anything reasonable for how coolant can get sprayed in the places I see it in the pictures.

a coolant reservoir cap is pretty cheap. without any better suggestions, can't hurt to give it a shot