General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Squeel on startup and broken glovebox

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Your friendly neighborhood chemist's Avatar
1st Gear
Cool Squeel on startup and broken glovebox

Hello All,
This is my first post on this forum although I have helped a few others with questions.
First, I have a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T quatro, it is all stock as I just got it from a dealer. I am not feeling too comfortable with some of the things the dealership has done. (its not an Audi dealer)

I basically have 2 questions.

1) When I start up the car first it has this high pitched squeal that I cannot place. Can anyone tell me what it is?

The timing belt was just changed- i looked at it and it is shiny and new.
It does seem to go away when the car heats up or while I am driving-even with the window down. It has been cold here recently (between -5 and 30 F) however, it is still doing it and it has been about 50 degrees the last couple of days.

I looked at a couple of other threads and it seems like it could be a fan belt needing lubrication or a powersteering pump.

Can anyone help me narrow it down? how do you lubricate a fan belt?
and is there a way to tell about the powersteering?

2) the glovebox on this car just broke. a friend of mine opened it and it just dropped. it looks like the hinges broke off of the right side. of it- althought the left is still attached. does anyone know were to get a new one? or what it would cost to fix it?

I hope I gave enough information!

Thank you in advance