General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is it the starter or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Default Is it the starter or what?

I had my check engine light on and my airbag light. I ran it on the Vag-Com and it said something about some hose leaking that cleans the air coming out of the exhaust. Who cares! Anyways, I couldn't get it to reset of course because the want $200.
I didn't drive my car for 3 days do to a big truck detail this weekend. I went to go pick up the customer to get his truck and it wouldn't turn over. It would try to turn over but couldn't excede. The voltage was going down also. I kept trying and of course the car didn't like it and my check engine light was flashing. I let cool down and later tonight I tried again and it wouldn't turn over. I changed the battery two months ago, so it shouldn't be that. Is it the starter? I have never changed that in two year I have had it. It has 66k on the odometer. Also anyother software to read codes and reset them for free?
Thanks for your help!

Old 10-11-2005, 10:28 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is it the starter or what?

If the starter don't turn over it can be:

- immobilizer
- the switch in the key start; often this goes bad gradually, so it sometimes works, sometimes not.
- the starter solenoid; you should hear a loud click if this works
- the starter motor this very rarely fails
- the battery this is a common fault source
- any connection and fuse between any of the above (unlikely, unless you have done something to the wiring)

Of these, the battery is the easiest to check. Even if you charged it 2 months ago, it can still be empty. Check the voltage, recharge if necessary, or try another battery.

Get a voltage meter/multimeter, they are cheap (you don't need a high precision one for fault finding on a car), easy to use, and worth every cent.